• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to test contrast?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

What is the best way to test contrast on a laptop monitor. I read about contrast ratio's, but I have no idea of how that will affect my real world uses.

Is there a website or a file I can download and put on various laptops to compare across various systems to see realworld changes?

Contrast is one of those variables that is tied to the visual comfort of the individual. It's going to be different from person to person. So I suggest you make some major changes on both sides of center and see what works best for you. Small changes don't really show up.

Contrast is one of those variables that is tied to the visual comfort of the individual. It's going to be different from person to person. So I suggest you make some major changes on both sides of center and see what works best for you. Small changes don't really show up.

Well I read a monitor has a contrast ratio of 450:1. That's a pretty meaningless value to me in the sense that I don't know how a particular image would look on 1 computer against the next. It seems the only way to do that is to bring an image with me, assuming an image I have would demonstrate the differences a given monitor has vs another one. If that makes sense to you, I'm not sure I'm being clear on this.

You might meet some resistance from store sales people if you start plugging in USB dongles to their laptop stock. And in my experience the computers in stores are not online. They don't want people surfing the net and getting them infected.

I've never heard anyone ask this question as normally whatever the contrast ratio is out of the box seems to work well for most people. When I fiddle with that adjustment on monitors I don't see that it has much effect until I get to the extreme ends of the range on either side. It's probably one of those things that any differences from unit to unit are not recognizable unless you are looking at the side by side or in certain lighting situations. Do you have visual problems that make this more of an issue for you?

You might meet some resistance from store sales people if you start plugging in USB dongles to their laptop stock. And in my experience the computers in stores are not online. They don't want people surfing the net and getting them infected.

I've never heard anyone ask this question as normally whatever the contrast ratio is out of the box seems to work well for most people. When I fiddle with that adjustment on monitors I don't see that it has much effect until I get to the extreme ends of the range on either side. It's probably one of those things that any differences from unit to unit are not recognizable unless you are looking at the side by side or in certain lighting situations. Do you have visual problems that make this more of an issue for you?

My vision is fine. At this store by me, all the computers are connected to the net. Though unsure if I can connect to flash drive. I tried going to a HD video on YouTube that some black in it. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference. Though the store is very brightly lit of course.

When I read all the tests that are done on PCs, more tests than their used to be, I often wonder how many really show what the user is gaining for the extra money they are spending in real world uses. It's hard to tell at times which tests are indicative of real world application uses for the consumer.

My vision is fine. At this store by me, all the computers are connected to the net. Though unsure if I can connect to flash drive. I tried going to a HD video on YouTube that some black in it. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference. Though the store is very brightly lit of course.

When I read all the tests that are done on PCs, more tests than their used to be, I often wonder how many really show what the user is gaining for the extra money they are spending in real world uses. It's hard to tell at times which tests are indicative of real world application uses for the consumer.

I agree. Too much unnecessary stuff is sold to too many uninformed people who don't need it and don't even know what it is. But the marketing hype makes it sound good and necessary. Technology companies have given us tools that are already more than adequate but they can't survive unless they create the illusion that we need something greater and later.

Technology companies have given us tools that are already more than adequate but they can't survive unless they create the illusion that we need something greater and later.

I completely agree. Take software, for my uses, the MS Word 3.01 back in 1988 was all I needed then, and all I need now. I don't need anything extra. I probably use 10% of that software's features hah.

With your usage listed in the other thread, you'll never notice the difference.

Back