• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stream gaming onto my TV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi Guys,

Want to know how I can display my gaming on my TV.

Would pref avoiding the use of an HDMI cable if possible.

What I have to work with.

Desktop (with wireless adaptor)

ezcast dongle and Android TV stick.

Any help would be awesome.

Regards,

Bandit.

There's not a lot that you can do. If you have a PC connected to your TV (separate from your gaming computer) you can use the steam in-home streaming option. Alternatively if you have a Steam Link that will also work.

That said, if you want to stream to another device you will want both of them to be wired and not wireless as there will be significant lag/delay on a wireless device compared to wired.

Otherwise if you just have a long enough HDMI cable that will work fine... (I know you said that wasn't desired)

You have two choices, an HDMI cable or an ethernet cable. Wireless streaming of gameplay introduces so much lag it's not worth experiencing it. It's like playing Quake II on your 28.8 modem and getting 300 ping. Brutal.

I don't know whether you can use steam in home streaming with your current hardware. If you can't, you can pick up a device called a Steam Link. I think it's about $60. You hook it up to your home network with an ethernet cable and plug it into a display (tv/monitor) and you can play your steam games on it, streaming them from your gaming PC. Performance is good and lag is minimal when running wired.

Seriously though if you're not willing to run a cable, don't do this at all. Maximum PC wrote an article about steam in home streaming where they said, literally in all caps, that people not willing to run an ethernet cable need not apply. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but that's the reality of this kind of thing.

HTH.

Keep in mind too that if the PC is in another room, then even with wireless keybo/mouse you will have issues. That's why I think steamlink+ Cat6 cable is your best bet. JM2C.

Thanks for the replies I figured the answer would pretty much be use an HDMI cable will look into option NiHaoMike has suggested. Will just be looking to play the Final Fantasy games on my TV got a 55" sitting there doing nothing going to waste. Not interested in spending money on consoles/gaming.

I actually tried this a few days ago.

I use a Sharp Aquous panel tv (fairly respectable), and the input lag is next level atrocious. Its not really worth doing at all.

Yup there's going to be input lag even if you just run an HDMI cable. TV's have more input lag than monitors. The amount of input lag varies by TV.

i play casual games on my tv streaming using nvidia stream and moonlight android game streaming app, with game mode enabled the input lag really isnt that bad, on my old plasma tv it was horrible. but it plays just fine for stuff like batman, skyrim, and portal.

depending on the android device usb xbox controllers (and usb wireless xbox receivers) will pass through to the computer and you can use that sitting on the couch streaming the game in 1080.

Last edited:
Where can I purchase one of these boards mike has suggested that delivers to New Zealand? and for that price or similar?

Last edited:
You would rather spend time and money and effort to install something directly into the display which may or may not work instead of just picking up a steam link and an ethernet cable?
To each their own, I guess. Keep in mind that for wired streaming, BPL is (sort of, possibly, depends on your home's wiring) an option.

Back