• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which speaker is better? Edifier vs Swan HiVi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One big reason is that USB works with laptops without the "phantom display" issue that sometimes affects HDMI used for audio only. Very few laptops have S/PDIF out. And most recently, smartphones are going with USB-C audio.

For home setups, HDMI is the most popular nowadays. Every amplifier with HDMI in I have seen also has S/PDIF for compatibility with older equipment. But very few have USB client. Much more common is USB host for plugging in a USB drive to play files on it.

Actually lately there are dozens of integrated amps with built in USB dacs. Computer as source is the future of HIFI. The feature is less common on A/V receivers as those are really meant for audio/video simulataneously with music as a secondary function.

A off topic question. Let's say if I want to use both Speaker and Headphone, but I'm too lazy to constantly have to unplug my speaker jack from the rear of my sound card and plug in my headphone jack.
So if I were to get an External DAC / AMP ( basically most are DAC + AMP ). Connect it via USB, will I able to switch between my sound output to either sound card or my external DAC ?
Normally like now I have a gaming headset, when I plug in my gaming headset I can switch between whether to use my gaming headset or my speaker ( sound card ).

Will there be any conflict if I were to add an external DAC to my PC with an existing dedicated sound card ??

A off topic question. Let's say if I want to use both Speaker and Headphone, but I'm too lazy to constantly have to unplug my speaker jack from the rear of my sound card and plug in my headphone jack.
So if I were to get an External DAC / AMP ( basically most are DAC + AMP ). Connect it via USB, will I able to switch between my sound output to either sound card or my external DAC ?
Normally like now I have a gaming headset, when I plug in my gaming headset I can switch between whether to use my gaming headset or my speaker ( sound card ).

Will there be any conflict if I were to add an external DAC to my PC with an existing dedicated sound card ??

Nope you can switch devices via windows Sound panel. For example, I have audio devices connected to my dedicated gaming rig (A Mackie 8-channel mixer, USB headphone/mic, and a HT receiver via HDMI) i can have them all connected at the same time and switch to whatever device I want my audio to go through via the Sound control panel.

Back