• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which speaker is better? Edifier vs Swan HiVi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

I'm planning on buying pair of new 2.1 speakers.
Mostly for gaming and music, but I'm quite picky with my music preference. I guess you could say I prefer lot more " bass ".
What I normally listen to is Metal ( all kind of Metal I guess also It feels like " modern metal " actually sounds bit more " bass " compared to " classic metal " ) and Electro grene kind of music ( Electro Industrial, EBM, Aggrotech, Dark Wave etc )

I'm deciding over these two which is a better speaker.

HiVi Swan M50W
Edifier S530D

I don't know much when comes to sound system, but on paper seems like the HiVi Swan M50W is a better speaker than the Edifier S530D ?
Also the HiVi Swan is overall a smaller speaker in size too, that's a plus for me for my table have quite a limited space.
Both are similar priced, just about 10 - 20$ difference.

What's everyone opinion ? I think HiVi is more well known when comes to speakers right ? I've seen people recommended this specific 2.1 speaker too.
I'm just wondering will it be suited for my preference. There isn't any Demo I can try it out myself IRL though sadly, because these speakers are quite rare here.

Another question is, about those " Bookshelf " / " HiFi " speakers, those 2.0 ones. They are expensive as hell, are they really that good ?
We do sell Audio Engine here it's more expensive by a huge margin. I had a friend who own one of these speakers before, he said the sound is amazing, but then again he mentioned that it may not be suited for my type of music.
As I can see it doesn't even have a Sub, wouldn't it be lacking in bass then ?

Anyways I've linked the site to both speakers below for everyone's convenience and reference.

HiVi Swan M50W - http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=443
Edifier S530D - http://www.edifier.com/my/en/speakers/s530d-2.1-subwoofer

You need relatively large full range speakers (without a sub) to carry enough bass that you won't notice. 2.1 is the most useful and cheapest route for you to take.

I have no idea about those brands as we don't have them here in the US. The Edifier doesn't list specifications. The Swan specifications look okay, although the website doesn't instill much confidence.

You need relatively large full range speakers (without a sub) to carry enough bass that you won't notice. 2.1 is the most useful and cheapest route for you to take.

I have no idea about those brands as we don't have them here in the US. The Edifier doesn't list specifications. The Swan specifications look okay, although the website doesn't instill much confidence.

Quite few people recommended me HiVi Swan, Tek Syndicate did mentioned this specific model too

Why don't you get a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set? They're very good for that kind of music/audio.

O we do have that but not sure how much is it I have to check I won't want something over 200 - 250$ that's bit pricey and I'm not that serious in sound system. But I've seen some people mentioned the sound quality was only mediocre and have poor built quality but it was just a random YouTube video I haven't seen a in depth review yet.
May check it out later.

You'll definitely want a digital amplifier. For those on a budget, you can often find one used for fairly cheap if it has S/PDIF but not HDMI.

Of the two sets you posted, the Edifier would be the better choice. The Swan does not seem to have digital input and is more or less already outdated. But also consider going with a standalone digital amplifier/receiver and some speakers - that would be the most upgradable. You can also look at soundbars with subwoofers.

You'll definitely want a digital amplifier. For those on a budget, you can often find one used for fairly cheap if it has S/PDIF but not HDMI.

Of the two sets you posted, the Edifier would be the better choice. The Swan does not seem to have digital input and is more or less already outdated. But also consider going with a standalone digital amplifier/receiver and some speakers - that would be the most upgradable. You can also look at soundbars with subwoofers.

I don't have the space for a sound bar, but won't sound bar be bad for directional sound when gaming in FPS ?? Since it's one long straight bar sitting in front of you and instead of two separate satellites and it doesn't have a " twitter " as well is that what they called it ?? The tiny speaker on top. I think mostly for high right ?
Also were you suggesting that I get a pair of Passive Speakers + Amp Combo ? If so that be too costly honestly...and it's hard to find them here in my country. Won't it be a hassle setting it up for PC use ?? I'm using on my PC not on my TV or something like that.
And I will need to invest on a Sub if I do that and I've check online one small Sub like Yamaha for example can easily cost me about RM 500 ++ ( These 2.1 speakers I'm looking at are only like RM 800 - 900 )

Anyways I went ahead and find reviews for the Klisph Pro Media 2.1, many claimed the speakers are good but not great.
Alot mentioned that you're better off with Logitech Z623. Also I found out the Klisph Pro Media 2.1 isn't price as same as in the US, being only 150$. Here it's about 200$ that's the same price with the HiVi Sawn M50W and Edifier S530D !

So I went ahead and do more digging myself, there are very little reviews for the HiVi Swan M50W but I was able to find few, a user review rather than from an actual reviewer, alot of them compared it to the Corsair's SP2500.
Both are similar priced, some said the SP2500 is better some said the M50W is better. M50W provides a better Mid, while SP2500 provides better Bass and High.
It was mentioned if you're listening to mostly acoustic and " classical " music the M50W is better suit. While SP2500 is better when comes to gaming and movies. As I mentioned my preference of music is more likely towards " bass ".

As of now I think I'm reconsidering my choices instead of HiVi Swan M50W, I think I will go with Corsair SP2500 or Edifier S530D instead.
Can't find a single review for the S530D though, but tons of reviews praising the hell out of the SP 2500.

Anyone listen to the Corsair SP2500 before? What's your opinion.

The Edifier's are total garbage at 10% THD (+N), something you buy from a van in a parking lot. The swans specs are really nice (THD <1%) compared. I'd get a pair of JBL LSR308's over either. Fantastic specs without a sub and only a few dollars more.

Last edited:
Welp, this is becoming complicated. So Corsair SP2500 no longer exist at all in my country. So we can scratch that from the list.
Now I'm left with two choices. Either

Logitech Z623
Edifier S530D

As again tons of good reviews for the Z623, long story short about the same performance as the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
( I wouldn't mind going with the Klipsch, but the current one released in 2014, many users said it's not good as the 2004 version, overall quality of the speakers are cheaper and the price is even higher than the Z623 here in my country )

Edifier, as mentioned can't find any reviews, even if I do it's from users or some random reviewer and all of them only have good things to say lol...
But price difference for both these speakers are quite a huge margin based on my currency and pricing here.

S530D - RM 800 +
Z623 - RM 500 +

We're talking about a 300++ difference, that's alot !
On Logitech site there isn't any specs about the Z623 at all...
Only way to tell the difference of these two is by a live demo...lol

Should I use the rule, you get what you pay for lol ? Being just go for the most expensive one and PRAY it's the better speaker lol ??

Anything that doesn't have digital input is already outdated.

What exactly is a " digital input " ? I've tried Googling it doesn't really make any sense. Something like USB connector from the source ( PC / player ) or something ??

The Edifier's are total garbage at 10% THD (+N), something you buy from a van in a parking lot. The swans specs are really nice (THD <1%) compared. I'd get a pair of JBL LSR308's over either. Fantastic specs without a sub and only a few dollars more.

What's " 10% THD (+N) " lol I don't understand at all, as I said I'm not expert in this, I've literally 0 knowledge when comes to all these sound system etc.
I normally trust my ears, sadly as I mentioned I can't find any Demo set at all. But many mentioned that when comes to gaming / heavy bass related the HiVi Swan can't deliver.
It's more meant for acoustic music, I think the HiVi is out of the question for me.

What's " 10% THD (+N) " lol I don't understand at all, as I said I'm not expert in this, I've literally 0 knowledge when comes to all these sound system etc.
I normally trust my ears, sadly as I mentioned I can't find any Demo set at all. But many mentioned that when comes to gaming / heavy bass related the HiVi Swan can't deliver.
It's more meant for acoustic music, I think the HiVi is out of the question for me.

Total Harmonic distortion. Google it. :)

You don't NEED a digital input (coax/spdif/optical) for speakers. It makes it easier in some configurations to add certain types of speaker sets to an existing home theater. Not required for PC sound.

Of the two I wouldn't have any reservations suggesting Logitech's audio products, especially considering the price difference. I've owned a few sets of Logitech speakers and they're common here in the US. They tend to be a bit on the bassier side, and not as smooth response in the mid/treble. But for the price they're an acceptable solution. THX certification would at least suggest they're capable of producing a relatively wide band of sound since that's a movie standard certification.

This one amazon reviewer claims to have tested the z623 and came up with a 'real world' response range of 30hz to 20,000hz. That's really good if it's accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R3PQ3...detail-glance&nodeID=172282&store=electronics

Digital input = S/PDIF (optical/coaxial), HDMI, and/or USB. Apart from being higher quality, it is also good for futureproofing.

When you're gaming or listening to music, are you going to be sitting at your computer?
If you are, you should look in to a good set of cans instead of a 2.1 speaker setup.
For the price range you're looking at, you will get far better sound out of the cans than any 2.1 setup.
Just something to think about if you're going to be sitting at your desk anyway (probably not ideal if you want to listen to music while walking around).

Anything that doesn't have digital input is already outdated.

That's not true. You can get great sound out of even integrated audio on a motherboard, if it's well implemented, along with a pair of speakers like JBL LSR 30X. You don't want speakers with digital inputs unless they are REALLY expensive (like the KEF X300A's-- $1000/pair) because running digital from your PC to the speakers means the DAC is in the speakers themselves, and you can bet that with a $200 pair of speakers, that DAC is going to be no better (maybe worse even) than the DAC integrated on your motherboard.

It bears mentioning that SPDIF (optical) is crap quality. Has a lot of jitter and is generally a bad transport for audio. HDMI and USB are infinitely superior.

If you want truly good sound out of your PC, you have a couple of options, none of which are cheap:

1) Buy an all in one package of great quality that has DAC/amplifier/speaker combined, ie, KEF X300A

2) Buy a pair of quality powered studio monitors (Amp built in) and run audio out to them via a USB DAC such as an Audioquest Dragonfly

3) Buy an integrated amplifier with a DAC built in, such as a Marantz PM8005, and a pair of quality bookshelf speakers (ie, KEF Q300-- I like KEF) and add a subwoofer if desired

If you're not willing to go any of those routes, or if funds are limited, it's hard to do much better on $200-300 US than a pair of JBL LSR 305's running off your integrated motherboard audio. You can upgrade to an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC ($150) when possible, if desired.

Having said all that, as JEFFG said, for $200, you'll get better sound out of headphones than you will out of speakers. Some good headphones to consider:

Sennheiser HD598, Audio-Technica M50X (M50X recommended if you will not be using a headphone amp)

or if you want a headset with integrated mic

Sennheiser G4ME Z3R0 (stupid name, good headset)

something you buy from a van in a parking lot.

LOL...those "vans" used to come around my University campus. I remember the brand was "Dogg Digital" they were pushing. Looked like Giant nightclub PA speakers for $100 pair. I had a buddy buy a set. He was lucky as it actually did have a speaker inside instead of a brick but sounded like complete ****e :p

That's not true. You can get great sound out of even integrated audio on a motherboard, if it's well implemented, along with a pair of speakers like JBL LSR 30X. You don't want speakers with digital inputs unless they are REALLY expensive (like the KEF X300A's-- $1000/pair) because running digital from your PC to the speakers means the DAC is in the speakers themselves, and you can bet that with a $200 pair of speakers, that DAC is going to be no better (maybe worse even) than the DAC integrated on your motherboard.

It bears mentioning that SPDIF (optical) is crap quality. Has a lot of jitter and is generally a bad transport for audio. HDMI and USB are infinitely superior.
Speaker DACs nowadays are not traditional DACs. Instead, they're actually Delta Sigma modulators that convert the incoming digital signal (PCM) into a bitstream (PWM/PDM), use that to drive some power MOSFETs, and then use a low pass filter to finish the conversion to speaker level analog.

S/PDIF has unmatched EMI immunity when run over fiber. (There's a reason why fiber is the best, albeit also most expensive, way to send digital signals.) Granted, it doesn't support uncompressed surround like HDMI does. And it doesn't relay volume settings the way HDMI and USB can.

Speaker DACs nowadays are not traditional DACs. Instead, they're actually Delta Sigma modulators that convert the incoming digital signal (PCM) into a bitstream (PWM/PDM), use that to drive some power MOSFETs, and then use a low pass filter to finish the conversion to speaker level analog.

S/PDIF has unmatched EMI immunity when run over fiber. (There's a reason why fiber is the best, albeit also most expensive, way to send digital signals.) Granted, it doesn't support uncompressed surround like HDMI does. And it doesn't relay volume settings the way HDMI and USB can.

While all that is true, the actual SPDIF standard itself is primitive, prone to jitter, and not as good as HDMI or USB, despite having a very good optical transport. Optical USB cables exist btw. A lot of HIFI freaks use them.

S/PDIF is actually the least sensitive to signal issues of the three. USB (at least up to 2.0) is fairly forgiving, while HDMI is very sensitive. S/PDIF can also be transformer isolated for common mode noise rejection without the cost of fiber.

I actually have used an optical USB cable at a previous job once. It was used to isolate a particularly sensitive measurement circuit, the problem was that the PSU supplied with it was a lot noisier than the PC was! Easily solved by making a cable to use a proper lab grade PSU instead.

All I know is that everybody who is into serious audio these days and uses a digital source is using USB, not SPDIF. I don't know why, nor am I very knowledgeable on the subject, but that is what people are using these days for the most part. I'm a member of some HIFI forums including computer audiophile, which is a really good one, and everyone there is using USB DACs, or, USB to an integrated amp that includes a USB DAC.

One big reason is that USB works with laptops without the "phantom display" issue that sometimes affects HDMI used for audio only. Very few laptops have S/PDIF out. And most recently, smartphones are going with USB-C audio.

For home setups, HDMI is the most popular nowadays. Every amplifier with HDMI in I have seen also has S/PDIF for compatibility with older equipment. But very few have USB client. Much more common is USB host for plugging in a USB drive to play files on it.

Back