• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats going on with SSD prices?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Was it a dream or do I recall Samsung 850 EVO 500GB drives for $130US just a couple weeks ago? $160 on Amazon and $182 at Newegg.

I've seen the stories too. I have to admit to being a little skeptical. Is there really a shortage or is this a story being spread by the manufacturers to drive prices up? Luckily I have the SSDs I need at the moment and can sit on the sidelines while this plays out. A couple weeks ago would have been a better time to buy. IIRC there was one in classifieds but the warranty on Samsung drives applies to the original purchaser. I don;t know if there is any coverage for one bought in the private market.

Thank you for the link Bob, not good news, interesting read and informative, no new SSD purchases for me I guess.

I've noticed a big rise in tech prices, but I at least have brexit to directly blame. How is the US$ doing in general?

All this talk about the shortage moved me to buy a 1TB WD spinner and a couple 3D Adata SSDs from NewEggg yesterday. They still had really good prices on the spinners and the SSD prices were only slightly higher than the lowest I've seen them, at least on some models. I want to have some inventory on hand so as to be able to offer my customers decent prices on system builds and upgrades until the prices go back down.

Bah shortage on even HDD components... :( Well maybe have to delay NAS HDD upgrades then for a bit more.

My buddy just bought a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB at bestbuy last night for $134. I guess Office Depot had a sale price and BestBuy Matched.

Back