• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm back!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cultie

After a year of up and downs, pretty much no visits to the forum and an entire year of no folding I am happy to say I'm back!! Getting out of unemployment means the hobbies can begin again.

I started folding yesterday on my work laptop (don't worry I got permission ;)) and I am about to start getting my machines back in service, including Adak's (R.I.P.) legendary Tanker.
Meet Tanker!<- Adak's build thread.

I will probably be asking lots of questions to catch up on what's the best in terms of production and making the best of what I go and I look forward to getting back in the family :grouphug:

I moved 3 times when you were gone and I haven't moved yet during the last time you posted, lol.

Great to have you back. As a team, we are small but very strong. We very much welcome your addition to this elite group.

I am also happy to hear that you're back to work and all of the good things that this entails. I'm happy for you.

Last edited:
I moved 3 times when you were gone and I haven't moved yet during the last time you posted, lol.
Lol, well try and stay put for a while. I can't handle all this change at once :p

Welcome back. Seems that the trend is towards GPU folding. Wallet time.
Thank you! Yes, I was thinking that. Wallet time will have to wait a while. There's a big hole in it already that needs to be filled up. Thankfully I'm finished with my car payment in February :D
How are the AMD GPU's performing at the moment. I have an AMD 7970 in my gaming rig and a R9 280X sitting on my desk.

Great to have you back. As a team, we are small but very strong. We very much welcome your addition to this elite group.

I am also happy to hear that your back to work and all of the good things that this entails. I'm happy for you.
Thank you! Yes, we have never been the biggest team but we always worked hard. We have the highest average PPD per active user than any other team. On average we're doing 631K PPD per active user. That's incredible work right there. :salute:

With those two cards, you should be able to do about 300K ppd.

Thanks torin3, glad to see you're also still here.

I was also thinking about making the most PPD out of the work laptop. Is folding in Windows 7 my best option or would I be better installing a Linux VM and folding there? It has an core i7 6820HQ @ 2.7GHz.

I started folding yesterday on my work laptop (don't worry I got permission ;)) and I am about to start getting my machines back in service, including Adak's (R.I.P.) legendary Tanker.
Meet Tanker!<- Adak's build thread.

There is a new A7 WU, it pulls about 300K-340K ppd on a 4P. And welcome back :)

Welcome back!! WOW tanker was 2012, so long ago already.

Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 and then download the new client 7.4.15 and you should be good to go on A7 WUs.

Welcome back!! WOW tanker was 2012, so long ago already.

Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 and then download the new client 7.4.15 and you should be good to go on A7 WUs.

Thanks Orion! Don't think I've seen you around since the memorial fold for Adak.

Yes, its been a while but Tanker is still a beast. Should I configure it to fold on all 64 core or should I set up 4 instances using 16 cores each? I saw someone here saying they are running 4 instances on a 4P system.

Thanks Orion! Don't think I've seen you around since the memorial fold for Adak.

Yes, its been a while but Tanker is still a beast. Should I configure it to fold on all 64 core or should I set up 4 instances using 16 cores each? I saw someone here saying they are running 4 instances on a 4P system.

Oh I have been around, the place just isn't as active as it once was. That fold we did for Adak was amazing! I'm glad you are able to get his machine up and doing its thing.

A7 folds on 64 cores and you get your best points then too. If you start defaulting to A4 cores then it seems 2 x 32 cores give more points. The new client 4.7.15 is suppose to adjust the number of cores to the available WUs but I haven't seen that happening yet (mainly I have been getting A7s anyway).

Oh I have been around, the place just isn't as active as it once was. That fold we did for Adak was amazing! I'm glad you are able to get his machine up and doing its thing.

A7 folds on 64 cores and you get your best points then too. If you start defaulting to A4 cores then it seems 2 x 32 cores give more points. The new client 4.7.15 is suppose to adjust the number of cores to the available WUs but I haven't seen that happening yet (mainly I have been getting A7s anyway).

I have noticed the forum a little quieter, I am hoping that changes in 2017. It's not up and running yet but it will be! It's currently half stripped down and being cleaned so that it cools with maximum efficiency. Those 4P's put out a LOT of heat. It'll make a good heater for my apartment ;)

I was running 4 16 core slots till 7.4.15 came out, then I reconfigured for 1 slot.

I was running 4 16 core slots till 7.4.15 came out, then I reconfigured for 1 slot.

I was thinking it was you but I couldn't remember lol. Thank you for the info. I am going to be having some fun tomorrow cleaning and reassembling Tanker :p

I have an R9 280X that I want to add to the system in my sig. Will my Corsair AX750 PSU be powerful enough to run that card along with the 7970 GHz edition? At the moment I have nothing overclocked but it's something I would like to do eventually.

Yes, I think you'll still have room for a bottle of wine. I just refigured my potential wattage adding my R9 alongside my 1070 and 650W will be adequate for them.

Yes, I think you'll still have room for a bottle of wine. I just refigured my potential wattage adding my R9 alongside my 1070 and 650W will be adequate for them.

Fantastic! That'll be another 140-150K PPD going live tomorrow all going well :D

Well after much delays I am finally adding the 2nd graphics card. Now, if I add the card while my main card is still processing a WU will I that WU be lost and start a new one?

I pause the folding in the control panel. Then shut down. Add new card. Boot up. Let the drivers install for the card. When both cards show up in the device manager properly (you may or may not have to reboot after install) I'd reboot again, (because cargo cult computing) and then start up the folding client. Switch from pause to fold. Then after the client has done at least 1% of the WU, then click on configure and add a new GPU slot. Don't forget to add the flags "client-type advanced" and "max-packet-size big".

Wait to see both are folding, and then continue on with whatever else you want.

Edit: If you are going to remove a video card, finish the WU for the card to be remove. Pause the folding. Then remove the slot for the GPU that will be removed in the control panel. If I don't do this, I lose the WU for the card that remained and have to reinstall the folding client.

Back