• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some thoughts on a good future contest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nil_esh

robertm mentioned having another contest based on luck giving everyone a chance to win. That got me thinking, a good contest could be one where you have to get past a certain rank to qualify and then have a random drawing within the people who qualify. Or you have to produce a certain amounts of pts to qualify (this would probably be a better for getting inactive members and new members folding). If you want to throw in some crazy math to add some competition, give people with higher rank/score a higher chance at winning. For the random drawing we can use some kinda external source for a number, like lotto numbers or something.

Anyways, robertm's contest has done a lot of good for the team, looks like we've got a lot of new folders around now. Fold on!

Well I hope to be given away a Swiftech MCX370 at some point soon not sure what kinda of contest I will have for that I will keep everyone posted :)

How about you get one 'ticket' for every point earned from folding@home.

At the end of the competition date, do a random draw of tickets.

Whoever turns in the most WU/points has the highest chance to win. But even someone who only earns 1 point has a small chance of winning.

It encourages everyone to max out their production. While at the same time allowing ANYONE to have the chance to win. That way nobody (hopefully) will get discouraged and drop out of the contest. If they do they can always be disqualified for not completing the contest.

May or may not work. But I think it has the randomness that we all would like to see. And still gives those who produce the highest a better chance of winning. That way anyone in the contest can win, and probably no-one will fold under someone else's name. That is an issue that might discourage, and may have already discouraged, some people from trying. When they see that one person has 4, 5 or 6 others folding under their name. If those 4, 5 or 6 other people have a REAL chance to win they might fold under their own names. That makes for a more FAIR contest.

Just my nickel. Used to be two cents but inflation has pushed up the price.
:D

chrismacan said:

It encourages everyone to max out their production. While at the same time allowing ANYONE to have the chance to win. That way nobody (hopefully) will get discouraged and drop out of the contest. If they do they can always be disqualified for not completing the contest.
:D

That sounds cool! :cool: But IMHO I'd exclude from the contest the top~20 folders, cause I think they have so much folding power allready that it could be better them to arrange contests than to participate in them.

I think i can rig up a program that will use the points idea. I'll talk with ploaf and see what I can arrange, anyone have an idea for prizes? If we could get about 150 together i could snag us a Ti4600 and put that up, wouldn't that be nice to win!!!

chrismacan said:

At the end of the competition date, do a random draw of tickets.

Cool idea.. that's exactly the kind of mix of fairness and competition I was imagining.

doer said:
But IMHO I'd exclude from the contest the top~20 folders, cause I think they have so much folding power allready

I disagree. A lot of those people are in the top 20 because they've been folding steadilly since F@H2 started. We've got some heavy producers that haven't made it into the top 25 yet. People can exclude themselves if they want by not participating, but I don't think anyone on the team should be excluded.

nil_esh said:

I disagree. A lot of those people are in the top 20 because they've been folding steadilly since F@H2 started. We've got some heavy producers that haven't made it into the top 25 yet. People can exclude themselves if they want by not participating, but I don't think anyone on the team should be excluded.

Ditto. The point is to make people fold more. So, you got the bottom guys folding more to try and get more of a chance, and the top guys folding even more to try and get the advantage. It's a win-win situation of you ask me.

And I think we'll use the idea of running a lottery and giving contestants a ticket for each folding point.

Just a note on contests. Am just going to say this and it might sound harsh or short but its just ment to be the fact as i see it so dont anyone get afended please :)

If you want to have a contest just do it! Make up rules get a prize and have some fun with it. :)

Waiting or just talking about the idea is great and gives others ideas but in the end someone has to just do it.

I understand not everyone has the money to get a prize for a contest and I can understand that. Maybe I will dig up some things to give away and let poeple make contest for them.

Anyway lets keep ideas coming but remember in the end someone has to just do it as nike says ;)

robertm said:
Just a note on contests. Am just going to say this and it might sound harsh or short but its just ment to be the fact as i see it so dont anyone get afended please :)

If you want to have a contest just do it! Make up rules get a prize and have some fun with it. :)

Waiting or just talking about the idea is great and gives others ideas but in the end someone has to just do it.

I understand not everyone has the money to get a prize for a contest and I can understand that. Maybe I will dig up some things to give away and let poeple make contest for them.

Anyway lets keep ideas coming but remember in the end someone has to just do it as nike says ;)

As my english teacher says,

PULL A NIKE! :D

Bbbbuuuuuuuuuttttttt, we should wait awhile for this last contest too die down, just so that people aren't expecting a new contest, or waiting on one that will interest them the most.

My .02

Well, let's get the show on the road, i've got a couple of ideas that i'll start today, if someone has a prize.

Right now my idea is the lottery. Anyone with a spare chip or card?

Back