• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Convince me to replace my GTX 780s with RX 480s ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiozaki

Light hearted topic, but I'm I am considering the upgrade?

Tell me your opinions.

Unfortunately I never put them on water bring Poseidon's and all....

Im not sure that you would see any gain worth spending any money on. If you are gonna upgrade- I would want an upgrade on some front.
this isnt to bash amd in any way either

I hit the 3GB limit on my vram, extremely often. Them 8GB 480s seem welcoming.

Thanks for the reply.

Get a single gtx 1080 if you have the budget, better performance :thup:

EDIT: also forgot to mention: 1080 ~180w and 2x480 ~300w

Last edited:
Agreed with the others. Get a GTX 1080, it's a better buy for close to the same amount of money if you get it on sale

I like my FX CPU, but it's not a CFX/SLI happy chip, I found gameplay was much worse with two GPUs than with just one. I might of been the games I played also, but I found that the jump in FPS in some areas of gameplay wasn't worth the drops in FPS is others, I'd rather have a steady solid 50-60fps then a hit or miss 20-100fps, but that's me and my experience with FX CPUs and Multi-GPU systems. Stick with a single good card and rock on. :attn:

You guys are making a mighty fine argument toward a 1080, maybe I'll just wait on the 490s.

Tax season is when I do my builds.

You guys are making a mighty fine argument toward a 1080, maybe I'll just wait on the 490s.

Tax season is when I do my builds.
AMD makes great CPU's.
GPU's? Not so much.

I HEAVILY prefer Nvidia over AMD for GPU's. Nvidia just seems smoother than the AMD GPU's even at lower frame rates.
Get a 1080. I'm going for a 1070 once I can afford one to replace my own GTX 780.

I wouldn't bother with AMD GPUs. Why wait for a lack luster 490 when you can have a shiny 1080 by next week?

IDK man just like the phenom 2s I have a fondness for AMD gpus.

And I've had alot, HD 7770, 270X 280X, 290X.

I'm still kicking my self for getting these 780s over 290s.

IDK man just like the phenom 2s I have a fondness for AMD gpus.

And I've had alot, HD 7770, 270X 280X, 290X.

I'm still kicking my self for getting these 780s over 290s.
You're not missing anything by getting 780's over 290's IMHO.

I ran a 6850, 7850, and a 280x, all sucked vs Nvidia EXCEPT the 6850. That thing killed my 550ti somehow.
But maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges here pitting higher end GPU's to lower/mid tier ones...

I think something like a GTX 1070 would be a better idea than two RX 480's. One GTX 1070 is cheaper than two RX 480's, and it offers better performance too.

I'm not sure if a GTX 1080 would be worthwhile for you to buy. Really depends upon what resolution you're playing at, and what kind of games you play (whether you play more or less resource intensive ones for instance) for the most part.

I'll probably end up doing a new build if I get a 1080 lol
Zen sounds good. I jumped ship and snagged a 6700K on black friday. That way I can still use Win7 rather than Win10 + Zen.
I think something like a GTX 1070 would be a better idea than two RX 480's. One GTX 1070 is cheaper than two RX 480's, and it offers better performance too.

I'm not sure if a GTX 1080 would be worthwhile for you to buy. Really depends upon what resolution you're playing at, and what kind of games you play (whether you play more or less resource intensive ones for instance) for the most part.
+1 the 1070 is a really good card from what I read!

I would go with the GTX 1080.:D CF/SLI is not worth the hassle and unpredictable performance.

Wasn't the big cf 480 tagline, cheaper then and more proformance the a 1080.

You're not missing anything by getting 780's over 290's IMHO.

I ran a 6850, 7850, and a 280x, all sucked vs Nvidia EXCEPT the 6850. That thing killed my 550ti somehow.
But maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges here pitting higher end GPU's to lower/mid tier ones...

All those gpus were competitive against their nvidia counterparts..............................780's are now significantly behind 290's............but I agree it's probably not worth swapping them out, although 3GB vram would suck right now.

OP you should wait for news on Vega before pulling the trigger on 480s, ideally a single gpu is going to be far superior.

Last edited:
The AMD new horizons event is live streaming on the 13th of this month hopefully some clue on vega will be included.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-to-showcase-2016nov30.aspx

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/zen-amd-new-horizon-gaming,33101.html

New drivers for AMD cards are released tomorrow with some interesting additions like Chill, Stream, record etc.

'On the performance side, Radeon cards such as the RX 480 see up to 8% performance increase with ReLive.'

Edit - Not sure if it means up to 8% gain from latest drivers or release drivers*

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-software-crimson-relive-driver-leak/

(Hardware Canucks already have showed the 480 and 1060 are on par PRE ReLive drivers) http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru.../73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html

Personally I don't think going with RX 480 crossfire is a bad option, as long as you are willing to deal with crossfire compatibility issues and often late drivers.

Plus you won't be strengthening the nvidia monopoly right? :D

Last edited:
Back