• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Convince me to replace my GTX 780s with RX 480s ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Personally I don't think going with RX 480 crossfire is a bad option, as long as you are willing to deal with crossfire compatibility issues and often late drivers.

No one here is saying don't go with one or another, simply that if OP switches for 2x480 he will end up with roughly the same performance he has now + CF/SLI issues (not all games can use 2 GPU's) + almost 2x the wattage of a 1080. Only good thing i can think of is that they will be cheaper. It's ok if OP prefers AMD GPU's but he will lose out even if they fix all the issues and performance increases with the new drivers. This is the same thing as comparing CPU's from AMD vs Intel, cheaper but much less powerful for gaming (let's hope that changes with ZEN).

No one here is saying don't go with one or another, simply that if OP switches for 2x480 he will end up with roughly the same performance he has now + CF/SLI issues (not all games can use 2 GPU's) + almost 2x the wattage of a 1080. Only good thing i can think of is that they will be cheaper. It's ok if OP prefers AMD GPU's but he will lose out even if they fix all the issues and performance increases with the new drivers. This is the same thing as comparing CPU's from AMD vs Intel, cheaper but much less powerful for gaming (let's hope that changes with ZEN).

I'd say the vram on those 780's would be crippling performance, edit - And that would be happening on the latest titles no doubt.

Found more info on the ReLive driver update pending.

'On the performance side, Radeon cards such as the RX 480 see an up to 8% performance increase with ReLive - compared to software version 16.9.2.'

https://www.techpowerup.com/228451/amd-radeon-software-crimson-relive-drivers-information-leaked

Driver used in Hardware Canucks 1060 vs 480 updated review is 'AMD Radeon Software 16.11.5 Hotfix'

Last edited:
I'd say the vram on those 780's would be crippling performance, edit - And that would be happening on the latest titles no doubt.

That goes without saying and doesn't change my post/point in any way, you can see the various benchmarks posted the 2x480 still falling short of a 1080, and even if by some miracle the new drivers really do increase performance by ~8% you still have to contend with CF issues and the fact that some games simply can't use 2+ GPU's :(

If OP is really that fussed about AMD vs nVidia then in my opinion he should wait for Vega which hopefully will be good competition. This is speculation but someone with a RX 490 seems to have showed up on a online AOtS benchmark and it's actually competing with the 1080's. Problem is that AOtS is very CPU dependant, so who knows what's really going on : http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/100066-has-amd-rx-490-appeared-aots-benchmarks-online/

Back