• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with intel core i7 4790k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrDefi

Hello there i've been having this problem; while gaming my pc freezes entirely and then shuts down with windows saying there was an error, this is the error "whea_uncorrectable_error" It only happens in games like Overwatch or bf1 nothing like csgo
I've been trying to figure out what the problem is for quite a while and i think it's my cpu, i dont know whats with the cpu that creates this error message but i think it has to do with overclocking or temperatures.

I have a gtx 980 - 16gb of ram and an i7 4790 BUT i bought this PC from a website and they overclocked it to 4.8 which i think is really high and even tho i have water cooling on the CPU i get up to 80+ degrees on BF1 for example after a couple of minutes. What are your thoughts and what could be the problem please have a talk with me.

Crash from yesterday: https://postimg.org/image/w8yufai27/

I really need help on this i can't really play any games that require some power even tho i have a really good pc if you need any informations to help me to find the problem just tell me. Thanks beforehand :(

:welcome:

There are some very basic first steps that you should take to start to uncover the problem.

1) Remove the OC.

2) Run Memtest86+ to test the memory.

3) Update any and all drivers.

4) Check with the games to see if this is a bigger problem related to drivers that are too new/old/other.

5) Make sure your cooling system is clean and free of dust.

Just some simple ideas to get you going in the right direction. Post back with any results and we'll see if we can do something more specific.

The error you posted seems to point to hardware.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557321(v=vs.85).aspx

Check your cooling and perhaps remove your cooling and reapply thermal paste to your CPU. Definitely run the memtest86+.

Since you're oc'd substantially at 4.8 GHz, that is the most likely cause. So why not just dial it back to 4.7 GHz and see if that solves it. If not, dial it back another 0.1 GHZ to 4.6 GHz and so on. If there's still an issue, look at the previous post for other things to check.

OP stated he bought this PC ready made and ready overclocked from a website. Suggesting that he get into bios and change the overclock is likely not in his skill set. It might be easier just to have him reset the bios to defaults with the F5 key.

Just another poorly overclocked pre-made PC in a sea of poorly overclocked pre-made PCs.

I don't think these companies that are pumping out these pre OC'd machines are spending the hours necessary to tweak the machines individually. I think they just try to find a list of settings that works for most machines and apply that list to every machine they build, resulting in some machines running with way more voltage than they need, and in other (perhaps most) of these systems being unstable.

You should never buy a pre-overclocked system unless that overclock is performed by a skilled friend who is going to spend the time necessary to tweak the machine properly. I don't trust any OEM to overclock for me.

I would suggest resetting the bios to defaults and leaving it there.

Just another poorly overclocked pre-made PC in a sea of poorly overclocked pre-made PCs.

I don't think these companies that are pumping out these pre OC'd machines are spending the hours necessary to tweak the machines individually. I think they just try to find a list of settings that works for most machines and apply that list to every machine they build, resulting in some machines running with way more voltage than they need, and in other (perhaps most) of these systems being unstable.

You should never buy a pre-overclocked system unless that overclock is performed by a skilled friend who is going to spend the time necessary to tweak the machine properly. I don't trust any OEM to overclock for me.

I would suggest resetting the bios to defaults and leaving it there.

Amen!

Back