• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 500w PSU readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi there,

Got one of those cheaper multimetres off ebay to test a Antec PSU just wonder what would be classed as working and safe voltage wise. My 12v reads at 11.6 the rest that have been tested are only off by very small amounts (PSU tested on its own not connected to PC just with the paperclip trick).

Regards,

Bandit.

11.6 is in spec, but just. With a load on it, it'll probably fail. Replace that PSU. It's tired.

Thanks for the reply so the paperclip trick is just for the purpose of does it turn on and work?

Is there a chart of something I can use to know what is in spec for readings also?

How would I test the PSU underload ?

And what issues could arise if the PSU is busted?

Cheers

Put a load on it and see.....Grab the 12v off the molex (yellow wire?)

Remember, spec is 5%.

Issues? Your system doesn't work and shuts down under load.

Digital volt meter connected to ground and 12v wire and 5v wire not at the same time, then run a game and Prime95.

If it's a cheap meter, it might be off by 5% too. You should be able to get specs on it if it's new. If it's used, when was the last time it was calibrated?

Jr, what's a boy supposed to do? :rofl:

I mean true.. but................. isn't it better than software? We tell people to go get these things to be more accurate... then this post........again it may be true, but.....

When I think my meter is flaky, I take into work and check it against a calibration standard...but don't think OP has that option.

I would suggest to measure a 9 V battery with it, then take the battery into radio shack and measure with a meter there.

The meter is probably in 2 different sensitivity ranges for 3.3/5 V and 12 V. 9 V should be in the same range as 12V ! :D

Interesting multi says 11.6 hwmonitor says 12.1 and going up down very slightly should I still chuck this one and get another or its ok ?

Back