• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP SELECTING PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D3x911

Hey there everyone, I have been a console game for so long but no more will I tolerate the 30 fps, I have decided to join THE PCMR FOR GREAT GOOD!
I have been looking around a lot and will go for these specs but don't know what PSU to chose and please do let me know if you recommend something else

Cpu : i5 6600k (plan to OC it to 4.6 ghz)
Motherboard: asus gaming pro z170 (so that I can oc)
Case: corsair spec 03 (not sure if I should go for this, please recommend if you think there to be any better and cheaper)
Gpu : gigabyte gtx 1060 G1 6gb OC (yes yes I do realise I could go for other better ones but tbh there is no big difference in them with resolution being 1920 yes there is a difference If you go 4k and what not but in my opinion thats over kill and I don't really have 4k monitor so I'm good with 1920)
Cpu cooler : cool master hyper 212 evo

Those are the main parts that need high watts I think.... please tell me if I missed something

Now what I plan to do with this pc is play arma 3 mostly and having expirence it as being 1 of the most demanding titles and being very cpu depending, I have decided to be wanting to OC the cpu, I don't plan on having pc on 24/7 of corse and I don't really care much about power efficiency, please correct me if I am wrong but from what I gave know efficiency only decreases the amount of electricity used and pepole may wanna have lower power use to have less electricity bill but I don't really care about it so I don't think I will be need power efficiency ones unless they completely have different meaning and purpose.

Please do suggest me anything that you feel can be or should be used instead and please I pleade you to be as constructive and reasonable as possible thx :)

You could EASILY use a 400W PSU with that setup and overclock everything you listed. I would surely get a 1070 over a 1060 for 1080p gaming... at least, if you don't plan on upgrading for a while. The 1060 is a solid card, but struggles already in some AAA titles at Ultra. You say you want to join the PCMR, then make it worth it is my take. Make sure you can run for a while with the settings cranked. ;)

You don't need high watts. That said, since you don't care about efficiency, a quality 500W PSU would be plenty for a Intel CPU and Pascal single GPU setup (1060/1070/1080). I would look at the EVGA 500B. Its a solid PSU, not Tier 1, but good, its bronze not gold efficiency so you save money there a bit.

Thanks for your reply, yeah my first choice was 1070 but seeing as I am on a limited budget I cant get it :(

You could EASILY use a 400W PSU with that setup and overclock everything you listed.

I would look at the EVGA 500B. Its a solid PSU, not Tier 1, but good, its bronze not gold efficiency so you save money there a bit.

On the same note, the 450B is even cheaper still (~$35 new).

don't cheap out on your PSU. its giving power to all your parts and going with an cheap off brand one is not advised. go for a known brand you know and trust. throwing some names out there, EVGA, CORSAIR or even Cooler Master for the more budget choice. ID personally recommend EVGA for their PSU`s.

Since you pretty much have the same PC as I have, I know that a 500w PSU is more then enough even with OC, if you are spending more money on a quality PSU, go a bit higher, in case if you want do ad more HD, Water-cooling, a second GPU ( not that 1060 thought) in the future. @ future proofing. I spend about 110euros on mine ( EVGA SUPERNOVE G2 650W golden, fully modular ). I am planning a more open case in the future and a modular PSU for a cleaner look was right for me.

Back