• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I feel I must be missing something but is there a way to play a game when steam forces a game update. Wanted to play an hour or so of DOOM last night, login and there's another 11.x GB friggin update for it. For some that might not be an issue but for me it's two days to update the damn thing ( minimum 30 hours) and then I'm out till it's done. Was hoping there's a setting to stop the auto update feature or still play while it's downloading.

I know you can set a title/steam to not automatically update... it is in the settings or when you right click on the game.

Not sure you can play while you DL an update though.. I doubt it. We've seen that with new installs, but I haven't seen it existing...

Thanks E_D, I looked quickly last night since it said I had auto enabled but I don't think I could change it after the update started. Doom seems to be the worst for huge updates like this and it has nothing to do with game play just add-ons usually. The game works fine. Just such a disappointment

I feel I must be missing something but is there a way to play a game when steam forces a game update. Wanted to play an hour or so of DOOM last night, login and there's another 11.x GB friggin update for it. For some that might not be an issue but for me it's two days to update the damn thing ( minimum 30 hours) and then I'm out till it's done. Was hoping there's a setting to stop the auto update feature or still play while it's downloading.

No offense or anything but what kind of internet do you have where 11GB takes you 30 hours? For me it would be 10 minutes on a bad day... and I don't even have very fast internet (160Mbit)...
Can't you get fiberoptic internet where you are? Are you on really bad like 1Mbit DSL or something? The DSL in the town I stay in in Spain caps out around 1Mbit. That's the most anyone can get out of the two competing providers there are there. It's horrid. That's a sleepy town of 2000 people that's pretty much in the middle of nowhere on the Spanish coast though. I didn't realize Ontario's rural areas were still that bad?

Picture your sleepy Spain town in Southern Ontario. That's me. Max speed is 5Mb/s on a good day. That's the best I can get. Out in farm country a small town of about 500 max. I use a wireless raio signal. No DSL, No cable/fibre. Only way to get TV is open air or satellite and I'm not paying bell for their garbage. The speed is good enough to use Netflix and Kodi(medium) so I'm good there.

Picture your sleepy Spain town in Southern Ontario. That's me. Max speed is 5Mb/s on a good day. That's the best I can get. Out in farm country a small town of about 500 max. I use a wireless raio signal. No DSL, No cable/fibre. Only way to get TV is open air or satellite and I'm not paying bell for their garbage. The speed is good enough to use Netflix and Kodi(medium) so I'm good there.

Oh hell no, I would move out of there to at least somewhat close to civilization...unless you're really a farmer :p

Not a farmer but grew up in the country, can't stand being in the city. Even small ones. Too many people and way too much traffic. If I'm gonna drive for 20 minutes I'd like to actually go somewhere. The list goes on.
Not dark at nigh too noisy etc...

if you leave steam running on your computer it should update automatically that's about the only way i can think of. that's generally what i do so my games are up to date.

If a game is updating though the internet in the house comes to a standstill. Too inconvenient or I would. I even have Win10 pro updates off. I do them manually for less interference

If a game is updating though the internet in the house comes to a standstill. Too inconvenient or I would. I even have Win10 pro updates off. I do them manually for less interference

Maybe your ISP can double your bandwidth with a dual setup (not sure if it's dual modems or another piece of hardware). I've heard of providers doing this for this reason, but I think the cost would be prohibitive for even a 10mb connection.

Maybe your ISP can double your bandwidth with a dual setup (not sure if it's dual modems or another piece of hardware). I've heard of providers doing this for this reason, but I think the cost would be prohibitive for even a 10mb connection.

Now you're talking. Squeeze some water out of that stone.

Not sure you can play while you DL an update though.. I doubt it. We've seen that with new installs, but I haven't seen it existing...

"Allow downloads during gameplay" in the settings -> download section.

Steam updates are not single file downloads but torrents (set for unlimited download/upload with unlimited seeds/peers which will ruin all but the best interwebs), but you can stop auto updates like ED said and you can also cap the speed in the settings -> download section.

It's already $60/mth that's enough

Back