• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 990FX Slow SSD Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
looks like I'll be stripping data off 4 large drives to correct that!!!!!!

still, if I transfer an iso of over 4 gigs the transfer rate will fall to around 45 megs/seconds from the hot swap bays to the sata6 ssd.

I'm not sure what is messed up, but I know transferring from one SSD to another 13.7gigs of data over 341 files and 20 folders, just copying a game from one drive to another I get this.

drivespeed.jpg

There has to be something, especially if you are getting close to advertised speeds with those drives in a different system.

Have you tried various ports on the board? Should be the 1st port ideally.

How is the partition alignment?

What does Samsung Magician say your tested speed is?

I would try different sata ports as suggested. This motherboard has few native ports and two behind a separate controller chip. The brown ones are native and grey ones behind asmedia controller if I recall correctly.

On my rig, asrock, there is the 'Tuning' program which has 3 separate options for ssd's. Speed, longevity, and I think reliability. Something like that (I'm reinstalling 7 pro still). I set my 840 evo to reliability or whatnot. Plus if it's a gaming rig I'd put the latest hard drive I could in it like an nvme pci-e kind, minimum 256GB.

After installing AMD drivers and enabling cache on drives all should work not much slower than on Intel platforms. I had no issues with SSD performance on ASUS CHV but it required new BIOS and AMD AHCI/RAID drivers.
For some reason there are issues with caching and some other things on 990FX. You may even need to enable RAID but still run single drive just on RAID driver to see full performance.

AHCI and RAID work in a different way than on Intel boards. When you enable RAID in BIOS then it switches to a different mode. It still enables AHCI on single drive but uses different driver ... from the same package. There are also other issues related to RAID controllers like on some boards you have to enable RAID5 mode to be able to set caching on drives.
I don't remember exactly how it was on 990FX as I sold my board long time ago but when you set everything right on good drivers etc then performance isn't much lower than on Intel boards.

STOP!!!!!
windows will not install in raid!!!!!!!!!
hold off till I work this out!!!!!!!!

on my saberpus 990fx windows will not install under raid, let me get this worked out before you try it!!!!!!!!

it looks like bios 1604 has a bug.
I moved to bios 1704 and it all installed just fine, back to 1604 and just after it looks like it installed it tells me it can't install to this drive........

Back