• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do people feel about earbuds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Aren't they called ear plugs?..
IMO they are the best small headphone design.
I Will only buy earplugs or over ear headphones cause any other headphone design are not comfortable for me. earplugs for school and sport and BMX, Overear for PC use and such.

Aren't they called ear plugs?..
IMO they are the best small headphone design.
I Will only buy earplugs or over ear headphones cause any other headphone design are not comfortable for me. earplugs for school and sport and BMX, Overear for PC use and such.

Earbuds or in-ear headphones.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=earbud

"Plugs" aren't headphones, they're literally a piece of material used in your ear to keep noise out. I use plugs at the gun range, for instance.

"Boomy" is a word generally used as a negative when describing bass reproduction. It indicates poor amplifier/driver control or room acoustics. Sort of an over represented, formless blob of low tones. Punchy usually denotes an amplfier or speaker's ability to handle transients well, either "quick" drivers or plenty of reserve power in an amplifier, but either way is quick delivery of clear, coherent music in the lower registers. One of my gripes with most "affordable" headphones is the over emphasis on bass, with zero ability to control it. ("Beats" are a perfect example.) I tend to prefer no EQ, with as little between the source and my ears as possible, but that's a personal preference and no way disparages other solutions.

LoL I'm not good with all this technical stuffs when comes to audio.
I don't even know how to explain what I want except just trying them on and rating them that this is the perfect IEM / headphone for me and this isn't lol.
But please don't mistaken, like I said I've sort a " unique " preference. In general most high end headphones / IEM are great nonetheless, but just not so when listening to my list of music.
Or sometimes rather that It doesn't have that " sound " I want to hear even though that it sounded clean and crisp.

So I went to the headphone store yesterday and tried out both the JVC FX850 and SONY A3. Really difficult decision.
Overall the A3 > FX650 no argument, sounded lot more " crisp " and " clean " as you people put it. Bass was " solid " ? You definitely can hear it
BUT ! Could be the device I've used since I don't even own a portable Amp and DAP at the moment and I know they make a HUGE different.
The bass was rather underwhelming for the A3, it just doesn't have that " kick " to it, I couldn't " feel " it at all, not like the FX650. It was definitely lot stronger.
But the overall sound for the FX650 was rather " messy ". Really hard to explain what I was experiencing.

Bottom line, I like the bass produced by the FX650 but it's clear the A3 sounded better but lacking in the bass I want.
So now I'm ripping my hair off deciding which to buy, but the FX650 is least 100 - 200 cheaper than the A3 ( Imagine the value difference is about 50 - 120 in USD ), that is if I can still find the offer for A3 if not then we're seeing DOUBLE the price for the A3 compared to the FX650.

Are there any other IEM you guys would recommend which similar to these ones ? Or Sennheiser Momentum In-Ears ? Some mentioned IE80 will suit me but that's way over my budget. That's like a 2000 $$ IEM ( my currency)...which is more than a Month worth of my salary.

If you get something that doesn't deliver what is important to you, you'll end up being disappointed every time you use them. That's no good. The whole idea is to enjoy the music, right? It sounds like the A3 will be like that for you. I'm a fan of Sennheiser's accuracy, and you may be able to use EQ to punch up the bass and have the best of both worlds.

If you get something that doesn't deliver what is important to you, you'll end up being disappointed every time you use them. That's no good. The whole idea is to enjoy the music, right? It sounds like the A3 will be like that for you. I'm a fan of Sennheiser's accuracy, and you may be able to use EQ to punch up the bass and have the best of both worlds.

I've always been a fan of Sennheiser lol, If I have the budget I would definitely go for the IE 80, I really like my Momentum In-Ears but sadly the " rubber " casing which used to protect the copper wire for some reasons for I don't know how ended up being ripped open !
Only way to prolong the lifespan of it now is that I just used some shrinking rubber case ( normally it's used for wires etc when you heat it, it will shrink ) and wrap around the damage area....
Real sad...I had no intention on changing honestly, but I may have to browse around now for a new one just in case anything goes wrong !

I think I will try out the A3 few more times, for I did spent quite lot of time testing with the FX650.
But not the A3 since it wasn't at the same headphone shop it was at another it was a coincidence right when I'm about to leave and head on home lol...
Tks for the advice.

it's your music, if you use a portable device, take it with you and test them with your music.
I'm deaf in one eye and can't hear out the other.
I prefer old, heavy, clunky, DC head sets, that's just because I have worn them all of my life, I'm used to the boom mics and throat mics for the same reasons, earbuds just feel "funny".

I don't want to start another post to ask a simple question, since while we at it.
I may consider getting myself a portable DAC+AMP for the moment instead of a DAP since it's cheaper and I actually want to use it on my PC as well.
Question is, can I use it on my PC ? This is what I'm planning to do.

I've a dedicated sound card powering my speakers, of course my speakers be plugged into my sound card already.
Now I wan't to add an " external " Portable DAC+AMP for my headphone / IEM. Can I connect it to my PC via USB instead of 3.5mm jack ? Since my sound card will be powering my speakers I don't want to keep changing it in between each time I want to use one another.
I'm actually interested in this Fiio Q1 it fits my budget quite nicely and I don't need anything too crazy powerful.

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/44

It will work but it may or may not perform any better than your sound card. If you use Pulseaudio (much criticized by audiophiles) or JACK (harder to set up but professional grade), you can even send audio to both devices and just mute the one you're not using.

It will work but it may or may not perform any better than your sound card. If you use Pulseaudio (much criticized by audiophiles) or JACK (harder to set up but professional grade), you can even send audio to both devices and just mute the one you're not using.

Uh...is this the one ?? It's a Software ???
But then where should I be plugging in my IEM / headphone, I mean I still only have one sound card and of course only one output jack from it.

http://jackaudio.org/applications/

So if I were to use the Fiio Q1 for IEM/headphone and sound card for speakers, all I had to do is switch them in between via the windows audio control at the bottom right?
Will the EQ on my sound card still work for the Fiio Q1 ? ( Yeah kinda stupid question I'm guessing it won't lol ?? )

Both Pulseaudio and JACK support sending one stream to multiple devices. The USB DAC and internal sound card count as two different devices.

Back