• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repair Samsung Ultrabook 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi guys,

I have a few issues with this Ultrabook 5 of mine. When I use the laptop when it was working properly post would never show via hdmi on my samsung tv only login screen.

In error my USB flash drive ejected itself while I was assigning a barcode for my bootable win 7 install because of this the laptop won't get to the login screen I know how to fix it but I can't see the bios it only has hdmi output.

Screen isn't working because the cable that plugs into the screen is damaged. I would like to know where I can get a replacement part cheap even if second hand and how to go about getting into the motherboard so I can fix it myself.

Quotes here are a rip off for a simplish job.

Cheers,

Bandit.

This post is confusing....

I think you need a new hdmi cable???? If so, go get one...order one online or go to best buy or a similar store.

Like here: https://www.amazon.com/DVI-Gear-HDMI-2M-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0002L5R78

I'm just not sure what you are really saying you want and need. Perhaps the tv takes too long to 'show a picture' so you only see the login screen? But you say that's broken and know how to fix it on the motherboard?? So the connector on the laptop is broken?? Does any other output show POST?

I'm going to get some caffeine and try to read this for the 4th time and see if I can figure out what you are saying.. :)

Sorry about the confusing post.

LCD screen on the laptop doesn't work have been using laptop via hdmi cable to tv so I can actually make use of it.

There has been an issue with a barcode being added to system reserve which is now not letting me reach the login screen (I know this will be simple to fix) however because of this now nothing will show on my tv screen because I think it has fastboot enabled and the tv is too slow to pick up the signal for the laptop when its posting even if im hitting the f2 button to get into bios it never shows on tv screen so basically its dead until I work out how I can view bios or fix the issue with system reserve.

Ok. Got the Physical part of it.

That said, I still don't know what you are saying with a barcode and system reserve. You talking it set something in the system reserve so that you don't now hit a log on screen?

What about resetting the BIOS on the laptop (Pull the motherboard battery like a desktop?)

Barcode was changed on the system reserve in error while creating a USB install of Windows 7 for another computer. What I am pretty sure happened is the flash drive ejected/unmounted causing drive letter/number to change I didn't realise this happened as I was mid process of doing the cmd side of things setting up the flash drive and it came up with an error which prompted me to check and try figure out what happened. This is when I realised my mistake after that I completed getting my USB flash drive setup for Win 7 but in the mean time stuffed my functioning laptop.

I wouldnt have a clue how that would happen while making a install disk on USB.

I still don't know what a Barcode is in reference to PCs and booting. Is that the right term???

So...have you reset your bios?

My mistake I mean bootcode :p

Was following a guide much like this http://bootableusb.net/bootable-usb-pendrive-using-cmd/

Since my laptop only has hdmi port. Could I get a hdmi to vga cable then shove that into the vga port on my tv? From what I have been reading online some people are saying the order the laptop sends signal vga is first hdmi is 3rd only after dvi? If someone can confirm this will work I will be able to fix with windows start up repair once I can view bios and boot to USB.

So,many easier ways to accomplish that (software) yikes. So while creating that you obliterated the reserve partition... with that fancy Bootable you have, why not dump windows on it and try to boot from it?

Or, again, have you tried to reset the cmos to get into bios?

Hdmi to vga adapter should work, try it. Should have a cable laying around or to trade with I'd imagine...

The only thing that happened was changing the bootcode on the system reserve other than that everything else is the same all other actions for making the bootable USB were targeted to the USB that was the only error I made.

My only concern is still having the same problem as hdmi to vga is still using hdmi so might still be slow? or would this null and the tv would just consider it a vga and so to the laptop and it will display straight away?

Honestly no idea how to get to the cmos battery in this laptop its a struggle to work out how to get inside it. If I knew how I could repair and get the screen going myself as its just one cable that is damaged that requires replacement.

Sorry I mean the tv picking up the hdmi signal its slow its says no signal check connection until it reaches the windows login screen. I am just hoping that the vga swap will mean I can get picture straight away on the tv so I can enter bios so I can boot from USB once I can do this getting back into windows will be a synch. Ah!! that looks like it thanks heaps for finding this for me hopefully I can get the screen sorted aswell!

Last edited:
If you just keep hitting delete to get into the bios, a picture should pop a picture on screen eventually regardless of input.

And you also said you ultra book's display is not working because the cable is broken? Do you mean the ribbon cable connecting th display to the motherboard?

If you just keep hitting delete to get into the bios, a picture should pop a picture on screen eventually regardless of input.

Doesn't work tried that nothing at all. Tried other buttons after a power off and power on aswell just to make sure it wasn't just a reboot required.

- - - Updated - - -

And you also said you ultra book's display is not working because the cable is broken? Do you mean the ribbon cable connecting th display to the motherboard?

Yes correct that ribbon cable is so damaged it has to be replaced if that was replaced and another put in the laptop would be fully functional w/o issue.

Ok tried the hdmi to vga cable and no luck nothing showing up on screen still. Do any of you know where I could get a replacement part on the cheap? second hand is fine as long as working.

Back