• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think "Zen" will affect intel's pricing scheme?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
6/12 threads are not xeon territory, well, they are, but, there is the consumer chips which are the direct competitors. I dont see why we are mentioning it here honestly. :)

Agree. 6 cores/12 threads are headed to mainstream... It's not 2013!

Truth.

What I was saying though, is since there are non xeon direct competitors, the HEDT platform/X99 (it does support Xeon), we should compare like to like and use non Xeon chips. I believe AMD still calls their server line Opterons, right? I believe its more fair to compare those head to head.

Agree. 6 cores/12 threads are headed to mainstream... It's not 2013!

Truth.

What I was saying though, is since there are non xeon direct competitors, the HEDT platform/X99 (it does support Xeon), we should compare like to like and use non Xeon chips. I believe AMD still calls their server line Opterons, right? I believe its more fair to compare those head to head.

We don't know that yet, we have far as I know no information on yields or die size to make any kind of judgement on whether or not that is true. Yes you're correct that their Optys are going to be 64 core+ that doesn't mean that they wont try to push them to Itanium like pricing levels either. I'd be happy to be wrong but I still firmly believe most folks are going to end up buying unlocked 4/8T RyZen and above that level will be priced like Skylake-E/Xeon.

Let me clarify my point...

Xeon's (and Optys) are not a direct competitor. We shouldn't be comparing them to this chip when there are other more like CPUs available.

Also, Skylake-E isn't even out...do you mean Broadwell-E? Not sure what you are trying to say at this point...its honestly not making much sense. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Back