• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking to upgrade no idea what to get, suggestions needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

I got no idea whats good now a days. Looking for a good card that wont kill my bank account but still play games smoothly. Just got the new COD game and I cant run it, very disappointing.... I got a Raideon HD 6990, had it for years. I was great and lasted a long time, what your suggestions.

I'm (obviously) a 1070 fan, but what is your budget? Anything over $350 and you're looking at Team Green. There are deals out there on AMD cards, but the current generation tops out at the RX 480. Are you shopping brand, outright performance, bang/buck ratio? What's your monitor resolution, and how many do you have?

I got no idea whats good now a days. Looking for a good card that wont kill my bank account but still play games smoothly. Just got the new COD game and I cant run it, very disappointing.... I got a Raideon HD 6990, had it for years. I was great and lasted a long time, what your suggestions.

1080p - RX 480 for sure, kills it on infinity warfare. The below benches are done with a reference card too, which will only run at about 1200mhz due to throttling.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...e_warfare_pc_graphics_benchmark_review,6.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Call_of_Duty_Infinite_Warfare/4.html

For 1440p you'd want a 1070. Although you could possibly use a 480 if you were light on cash and were picking up (or own) a 1440p freesync monitor. Freesync is also a lot cheaper than Gsync.

didn't think to add my monitor info in, I run duels Dell u2711(2560x1440) & HP 2711x(1080p), damn $400 is a bit more than I got, was hoping for half that honestly.....can I get something cheaper and still game, if not Ill have to sell my soul to to find the extra cash.

Yep... 480 isn't really a good starting 2560x1440 card... its about topped out there. You need a 1070/980Ti.

(I wouldn't run a 780 at 2560x1440 either)

There's a few 980ti's on my local craigslist for $250-275. I'd start there for a budget card to run 1440p.

Looking at the Ti release in probably less than a month
That may affect pricing, until them save your lunch money

If nothing moves you may have to look into the used market

Looking at the Ti release in probably less than a month
That may affect pricing, until them save your lunch money

If nothing moves you may have to look into the used market

Even with the Ti releasing, I don't see a 1440p capable card being in the sub 200 dollar range. It may drop the price of a used 980ti into his budget though.

thanks guys at least I know a range of cards I can be on the look for..... with out asking id a prolly got a 480 as they are right around 200ish..... trying to see if I can find the extra to get a 1070, might take me a month or so to get the difference honestly but I can keep an eye out.

Back