• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My GPU failing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gohanhd

I was wondering how I can tell if my GPU is failing or not? Sometimes randomly part of the screen for brief moment show vertical lines.

(I was wondering if I should send it back or not)

Never stressed test it before, Whats a good program to use to stress it?

Does the issue happen with a different monitor attached to the GPU?

The lines dont happen often so it might take a bit....to test on another monitor. Do you think it could be monitor? I got both monitor and GPU at the same time and have not used any other monitors. (or the other way around....only used this GPU on this monitor)

3D mark free version. LINK

Run it see what happens. If you can reproduce the error, try it with a different monitor or TV to rule out your monitor as ATM said.

Did the fire strike ultra and extreme test...both passed at around 98.8%. Keeping doing it....?

I hope you are not using some old VGA monitor, that also could be the case.

edit: (either monitor or cable failing)

Last edited:
Testing...not get any results, or just taking forever tp happen.

I hope you are not using some old VGA monitor, that also could be the case.

edit: (either monitor or cable failing)

The monitor, cable and GPU are less then a year old...around 10 months. (I use DisplayPort cable)

Are the cables secure? Can you reproduce the error by jiggling the cable at either end?

It sounds like the card is good if nothing is showing up under stress.

Are the cables secure? Can you reproduce the error by jiggling the cable at either end?

It sounds like the card is good if nothing is showing up under stress.
They seem secure, and jiggling them does nothing.

Do you think it can be temp. related? I mean My GPU in my old case ran a bit hot around 80c(max), with newer case and stuff its a lot cooler.(playing an game with same res and setting) If its not the GPU, then I'm guessing monitor....maybe? (every everything is new besides GPU and monitor, it happen with old stuff and new and the only thing the same between the old and new is GPU and monitor.)

Last edited:
At this point you need to isolate the problem one thing at a time.

Use the onboard graphics as Wingman99 said (hook the display to the motherboard) to rule out the cable and monitor.
If the problem still happens, change the cable to rule it out.

The other thing it could be is a failing or faulty PCIe slot, but rule out the monitor, GPU and cable first.

Does the error happen every day? Every week? Is there any consistency to what you are doing when it happens?

Back