• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the AMD Phenom II X4 B97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

navyfalcon

I am trying to overclock the AMD Phenom II X4 B97 3.2 GHz.
The BIOS is locked (HP system), tried AMD overdrive, unable to get it to work.
Is there another software that may work that I could try. I already increased the
cooling so it maxes out at 40 deg C under "Heavy Load" software.
Thank You
falcon

SYSTEM: HP Compaq 6005 Pro MT
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 B97 3.2 GHz
mainboard: HP 3047h
BIOS: 786G6 v01.15
Win 7 Pro

With that motherboard you don't have any options. Your best bet is to replace the motherboard with a good used AM3/AM3+ board from ebay that has overclocking adjustments. Since the CPU has a locked core speed multiplier you would need to rely totally on the front side bus to overclock. That gets more complicated because memory frequency, HT Link and CPU/NB frequencies are all tied to the FSB. In other words, they will also rise with the increase in core speed and would likely need to be offset at certain points to prevent instability.

This one would be appropriate but is full size ATX from factor. Would it fit in your case? If you have a small form factor or a micro tower, it would not fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASRock-970-...699724?hash=item2ef834b64c:g:s9cAAOSwux5YPXFC

Keep in mind that when buy a used motherboard off ebay you want to make sure it comes with the I/0 shield.

That CPU might be a good overclocker as it has the C3 stepping.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Saul. As I consider the total situation, you will need to replace the motherboard and the case at a minimum in order to get into a position to overclock. A successful overclocking experience is generally not had unless you start with the concept of a custom computer and begin choosing the parts from the ground up.

I have a mini tower with BXT (or board mounted on the left side). What is a good software with changing Front Side Buss. I use Speccy to monitor temperatures and Heavy Load to stress the CPU. I just want moderate overclocking.
Thank You
falcon

There is no good software for changing FSB. If the ability to change the FSB is not present in the motherboard bios then there is nothing for any software to access in order to control that parameter from Windows.

SETFSB works if you can get the right PLL control chip #

View attachment 186275

Few people seem to have the right PLL with those programs, that one and clockgen. I started to mention them to OP but I've never seen them actually work well so I didn't. I think there was a day when those were in use and often helpful but my impression is they aren't being developed for newer hardware.

Remember trying to use that on a Compaq AMD-K6 200mhz desktop, BIOS was locked tighter then laptops...

Back