• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reccomend a cable modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So I have Cable One here at my house and I have been renting(getting gouged) an old beat up motorola surfboard for almost 2 years. Honestly I am sick of paying extra and TBH the wifi strength sucks. So I am in the market for a new modem. I have a budget of about $150 for this as it will put my break even point at around 6 months.

Arris SB6190 is what I have. You can likely go down a level or two from that, but it works like a charm.

Arris SB6190 is what I have. You can likely go down a level or two from that, but it works like a charm.

While I like my SB6190 just fine, there's a known issue with latency/jitter with the modem's chipset:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r3...terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mistake

It is actively being worked on.

Personally, I would be waiting for a month, the new DOCSIS3.1 modems will be rolling out the Arris/Moto SB8200 and the new Netgear CM700 CM1000 (Thanks Jeff G) which will support gigabit assuming your cable co is working towards that (mine is).

Last edited:
The Netgear CM400 is rated as one of the top modems for anyone needing 8x4 or less. It's $49.99 at most places. I have it, I pretty much never need to reboot or anything. Seems to work as intended.
Gives you a solid $100 left in your budget for a nice router.

- - - Updated - - -

new Netgear CM700 (I believe is the model)

It looks like it will be the CM1000 (with a $179 price tag).

Do you need telephony or just internet? What DOCIS level do you need? Is there a list of your provider's compatible modems somewhere?

While I like my SB6190 just fine, there's a known issue with latency/jitter with the modem's chipset:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r3...terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mistake

It is actively being worked on.

Personally, I would be waiting for a month, the new DOCSIS3.1 modems will be rolling out the Arris/Moto SB8200 and the new Netgear CM700 CM1000 (Thanks Jeff G) which will support gigabit assuming your cable co is working towards that (mine is).
interesting... I dont see any issues gaming, but my browsing, specifically to OCF is slow. I need to reset the modem every few days. The latency comes when it hits their backbone, however.

Do you need telephony or just internet? What DOCIS level do you need? Is there a list of your provider's compatible modems somewhere?

No telephony needed I only have internet no phone, no TV.

As far as I know DOCIS 3.0 is what my provider uses. My plan is 100/5Mbps.

I have no ideal what their "GigaOne" service is as it is not available in my area. I do assume its probably a gigabit service, but since its not available here I don't really care to worry about future proofing for it.

An awful lot of people use the Motorola Surfboard and I see it on sale all the time at places like NewEgg, usually bundled with a router, however. People that I know use the Surfboard modems really like them. I would have gone that way myself but we need one with telephony at our house so our choices were more limited.

Not enough room in Ohio for two moderators! :p

@ODB, I don't think you necessarily need to ditch the modem. I'd follow the dslreports thread and watch as the firmware gets released if it resolves the listed issues. Apparently they fixed the ICMP jitter issues, but are now working on the TCP/UDP (last time I read)

I like my SB6141 pretty well, personally.

A lot better than the SB5101 we were renting from TWC, seems more consistent on download and upload speeds (though like 5101 it also has a tendency to randomly lose connection now and then, which seems to be an issue on the ISP's side as we also have ongoing cable issues as well). Must have had that thing for 6-7 years. I would have liked to upgrade to a newer DOCSIS 3 modem, but the techs they sent out when we were having cable and internet issues in 2011-2012 said we couldn't upgrade to a newer model of modem unless we also upgraded our internet service package. Such is why I went and bought my own modem and installed it myself.

My other choice when I upgraded our internet service would have been the SB6183, but it was out of my price range. Also didn't seem to be much point in buying it, since the 6141 supports 300MBps, which is more than my ISP (TWC at the time, now Spectrum/Charter Communications) even offered.

Last edited:
Netgear or Arris is what I'd recommend for sure, back when I worked at the call center we all called Motorola "smokarola" for the obvious reason. Id never own one

My motorola surfboard sb6121 is literally plug and play, not even one button. Works perfect running 24/7. Docsis 3.0. Connected to my asus n900 I'm getting ~135-240 Mb/s on 5G. If they have Docsis 3.x ones go for it. I thought these things update themselves automatic?

Really not looking to have separate units at this pass. Id really like to find one that has great wifi strength as my office has to be connected on wifi even though my server and main desktop are connected via HW.

more often than not the combo modem+routers are crap. I'd recommend spending the cash on a dedicated unit for each, you can easily get a modem and a solid AC1750/AC1900 router together for about the $150 mark that you mentioned.

I acquired a Netgear CM1000 to replace my SB6190
Doubled my down and up load speeds just with this modem. From average of 270/32(300/30 is what I pay for) to 580+/60+
Without upgrading my internet level...

Back