• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xmas Assist - Pumps won't start when atx is in board, will otherwise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hsnopi

Hello All,
Specs
Asus z170-e
asus 1070 gtx strix
16gb gskill ram
seasonic 660w
core i7 6700k
Cooling
3x Noctua slow speed fans with rad
Swiftech D4
EKWeb full GPU block
XSPC Raystorm Pro with XSPC res.

So, I test the loop with nothing plugged in but the pump and leds so I can see what's going on. I jump 3 and 4 on the atx PS and it runs overnight like a dream. no leaks. all is good.

I turn it all off. Plug in the PCI-E in the the vid card, the eatx12v and the atx 24pin intothe mobo. I plug the 3 fans into the CPU, cha1 and cha2 fan ports. I plug the blue wire from the pump into the w_pump on the mobo next to the cha2 fan. I turn it on. Green light on the vid card, green light on the mobo. BUT...no pump, led's don't light up and fans don't run.
:bang head
This is a gift build for my brother so it's already gonna be late. ANY ideas at all? Should I not use the mobo slots for fans? So I unplugged it all and went back to just the leds and pump (See pics) and the pump works fine as do LED's. THought?

Getting annoyed.

THANKS!
20161225_022339.jpg

20161225_022325.jpg

I'm almost willing to say your PSU just isn't big enough to handle all the load once everything is hooked up from the spec's I'm seeing and the size PSU you'r using.
That could explain why the pump won't run when all else is set to go. Does the pump have another way of getting power to it such as a Molex connector you could try? Could be it's not getting enough power through the board and that would rule that possibility out.

crap. good call. I'll try this after the daughter opens gifts. you all are awesome. I'll hook up the pump to a spare PSU while I do it.

well i hooked the pump up to a spare psu. now i need a fan. i stuck a case fan on there. it''s like the fans are getting no power so I can't even get to the bios.

ok fixed it.
RFO
Idiots work on computers at 3AM.
I'm embarrassed.
So I turned on the PSU. On my old machine that was enough. I had that machine for 7 years.
You have to push the power button. I didn't do that.
I'm an idiot. mock away.:facepalm:

ok fixed it.
RFO
Idiots work on computers at 3AM.
I'm embarrassed.
So I turned on the PSU. On my old machine that was enough. I had that machine for 7 years.
You have to push the power button. I didn't do that.
I'm an idiot. mock away.:facepalm:

No worries. Glad you got it figured out and it wasn't anything that needed an RMA.

Back