• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are games becoming boring or am I becoming too old for them

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree Janus, now that we have some money we can buy more games but I think it's a little more. Our time is also more valuable now that we are older too. I feel that if I'm going to buy a 60-100 dollar game then I want more than a week or two out of it.

The strategy game genre sounds like a good idea. Maybe give that a try. Just to try it out you can usually pick the Command & Conquer series up pretty cheap on Origin then buy a more expensive one if it fits you.

I agree Janus, now that we have some money we can buy more games but I think it's a little more. Our time is also more valuable now that we are older too. I feel that if I'm going to buy a 60-100 dollar game then I want more than a week or two out of it.

The strategy game genre sounds like a good idea. Maybe give that a try. Just to try it out you can usually pick the Command & Conquer series up pretty cheap on Origin then buy a more expensive one if it fits you.

I can see the first argument going two ways. Having two kids trying to make time to play through a 20,30,50,100 hour game is just impossible. I can play through a 6-10 hour campaign across a few evenings and I find that to be a pretty good spot. If it has a multiplayer aspect I may try it out a little bit, but I don't have near the time that would be needed to be good at it, so I generally move onto something else in my library if I can.

I came at it from a completely different angle, it seems. I got in to World of Warcraft as something to do with my daughter. She enjoyed it and it was a great way to spend time with my teenager when our other interests were diverging. I was interested in my current games due to my interest in the historical aspect and the equipment. Eye candy is a biggie for me because the accuracy of the planes, tanks and ships was part of the attraction in the first place. Aerial combat with lots of detail is why I bought my graphics card, so I guess I'm firmly in the eye candy camp. :)

Try the Metal Gear Solid games.
Try Dishonored 1 and 2, No kill stealth playthrough (Really hard but really fun!) and loud killing playthrough.
Try the Max Payne games, The story is really good!
Try the Halflife games.
Try Amnesia games if you want some horror.
Also the Assassins Creed games are really good.

Last edited:
Try it inside you're own game type, you'll be surprised with how much fun old games still are :)

^ Pretty much this. Old games give me the fizz simply because of their engagement. The content and substance I find in games 20+ years old is very fulfilling. If you like RPGs then the 90's are a great decade--maybe even include '00-'05 in that as well. If you like FPS games the 90's and early 00's are a great time period. Strategy the late 90's and early/mid-00's are a great time period. The overall attention to detail and storytelling was much better back then. Now too much emphasis is placed on graphics and such to tell a usually hollow story. I don't care how realistic these games look these days, that doesn't = extended game time. A couple of good examples of exceptions are Red Dead Redemption and Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. When these games came out they were state of the art back then and had so much brilliant content and substance that they have aged very well in my opinion. Especially Read Dead Redemption...which BTW playing backwards compatible on your XBOX One is also brilliant. ;)

I must say that high end pc gaming is expensive . a fun hobby for sure but what happens when you can max anything you can throw at your rig . you get bored
I tried modern titles and have always been playing them. doom . titan fall 2 . battlefield and gta v. I just cant seem to enjoy them anymore. going back to classics like gta san andreas kept me on my seat for hours and hours . do you think games are becoming more eye candy and less fun these days

Age has nothing to do with it I think. 8~10 years ago I had the same feelings that maybe I was too old and losing interest. So I pretty much quit playing anything new and stuck with the old stuff but only when I made time. For me I got bored of gaming for the opposite as many in this thread. Graphics. Too much R&D and development time was/is invested in to visuals and not enough substance. This has leveled out a tiny bit since 8~10 years ago or so but it isn't as much as it used to be 20+ years ago. I finally had to just accept it for what it is and move on. While my free time has diminished the older I am I've found by broadening my horizons on gaming genres I have renewed interest and passion for games. Now I'm just as knee deep in playing games as I was as a teenager--and just with 25% of the free time as then. For example, if i hadn't of opened my mind to any non-tournament style FPS game I would of never found Borderlands 1 & 2. And that game series changed my gaming life. Take a break for a while, concentrate on another hobby or making your life better. Come back with a fresh mind. In play genres of games and sub-genres that I would of never thought about before. It is what you make it I think.

I think the downfall you and or others might be experiencing is because you're constantly feeling the need to buy the newest and best hardware to squeeze a few better textures, filters, and FPS. Ignore that part of your brain and concentrate on the game itself and not how it looks. You might be surprised how shallow or deep some games are once you strip away those visuals. I just went through Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion recently again for the second time and I was glued to my seat more than I had expected. I also recently enjoyed some SNES and 3DO games and I had some great fun. I know it sounds corny but the future of gaming is the past. There is a reason why retro gaming is hot right now. Just my $0.02 from someone who's played video games for at least 30 years.

1000 hours in and growing is Rocket. League. I never would have thought rocket powered cars playing soccer would be as. much fun as it is. seriously addicting, and its all about gameplay 😉

Back