• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick schooling on NVM drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, this is coming from the new system. Got Win 7 installed, though I had to find the NVMe driver on a Reddit thread.

Also, strangely, my system wouldn't see the USB ports unless the SATA optical drive was plugged in. But I'm on now. Just a matter of downloading and configuring things back to where I like them.

Edit: Once the windows updates are downloaded, they do seem to be installing faster.

Also, there was no broken update delay like I'm used to getting with fresh Win7 installs. I was just looking up the prodecure, and I already had the first batch of updates available.

Last edited:
UEFI and legacy mode. Is that a Bios setting?

Yes, found in the Boot menu.

Edit: Just FYI, real world transfer from 850 Evo to 960 Evo of about 42 GB of files. ~2min.

Last edited:
Well, this is coming from the new system. Got Win 7 installed, though I had to find the NVMe driver on a Reddit thread.

Also, strangely, my system wouldn't see the USB ports unless the SATA optical drive was plugged in. But I'm on now. Just a matter of downloading and configuring things back to where I like them.

Edit: Once the windows updates are downloaded, they do seem to be installing faster.

Also, there was no broken update delay like I'm used to getting with fresh Win7 installs. I was just looking up the prodecure, and I already had the first batch of updates available.
Glad these guys got you taken care of!

Regarding broken updates, I don't think that happens to everyone. Judging by the thread here however, you'd think it sure does. ;)

Last edited:
let us taste some of that speed you bought! interested to see how it benches

CrystalDiskMark works best for me. To check max bandwidth use ATTO in the latest version ( 3.05 or something ).

I couldn't resist and couple of days ago I got 2nd Patriot Hellfire 240GB NVMe. I set it in RAID 0 but results are quite disappointing. Overall it performs great but maximum sequential bandwidth went up only by 500-700MB/s. The same is on other drives and Z/X Intel chipsets ( various reviews around the web ). I just feel there is something wrong with controller or pcie design. Single M.2 slot supposed to have ~4GB/s max bandwidth while I have that in RAID 0.

Last edited:
the pair of 950 pro drives I have would show 4000 on sequential reads and 2000 on sequential writes but the small files were slower on both- that is with windows 8.1 installed, with any other OS they benched lower than the single 960pro.
But they booted windows7 faster than anything I have ever seen in real life. My Intel NUC would boot windows from the button push in about 5 seconds whereas a single drive takes as long as a sata drive

On my drives I've seen up to 4GB/s max read and all other transfers were higher than on single drive ( I don't remember writes exactly but single drive is 2.2GB/s while in RAID it was 500-700MB/s more ). However boot time is slower in RAID than on single drive and I mean like 10 seconds or something slower than single drive. Single drive is booting in about 4-5 secs. I don't really care about boot time as the most important is how drive works in OS.
If I find some time then will make some screenshots in RAID today.

CrystalDiskMark works best for me. To check max bandwidth use ATTO in the latest version ( 3.05 or something ).

I couldn't resist and couple of days ago I got 2nd Patriot Hellfire 240GB NVMe. I set it in RAID 0 but results are quite disappointing. Overall it performs great but maximum sequential bandwidth went up only by 500-700MB/s. The same is on other drives and Z/X Intel chipsets ( various reviews around the web ). I just feel there is something wrong with controller or pcie design. Single M.2 slot supposed to have ~4GB/s max bandwidth while I have that in RAID 0.

Well, looks pretty decent to me:

disk.jpg

did you install the raid driver with your win7 install?
I have read that they perform better with the raid driver.

mine is the 500 gig 960 evo.

Back