• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new home server build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

95blackz26

ok well i kinda recently bought a Intel S2600CP2J motherboard with dual E5-2670's and 64gb of ddr3 1600mhz ram.

kinda pondering whether or not to water cool it. the pump i'd be using would be a D5 pump which has a MTBF of 5yrs so failing isn't a concern. more so i can water cool way quieter than air cooling. for water i'd need a couple of blocks , a pump and some tubing.

for air coolers i'm tossing it between these two Arctic Cooling Alpine 20 Plus and Freezer i30

case wise i may or may not use what i already have.

If you're not doing any serious number crunching (if it's only acting as a file server) then you should be able to run the cooling fans at low RPM/cfm. Watercooling would be overkill.

If you were running a power hungry series of apps, databases, or doing any serious overclocking, then watercooling might help keep the temps and noise down.

I'm cooling my E5-2670s with Cooler Master Hyper 212s with fans slowed down by Noctua NA-RC7 Low Noise Adapter Cables. Even with the quiet slow fans, none of the cores get higher than 70C under a continuous 32 thread, 100% load. With normal loads, the temps range between 35C and 60C depending on what's running.

well i got some air coolers on the way. went with some cooler master's.i had some ebay bucks so the 2 heatsinks were cheap overall.. since this whole build came out of nowhere as i wasn't planning it, i don't know when i'll get it done.. i'm trying to find a house and move so the actual build might be delayed a few months.

Back