• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Logitech G710+ Carbon fiber vinyl # Looks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beret21

Registered
Did it for a friend

How to ?

Tools required

1. Screw driver set

Modding requirements

1. Carbon fiber vinyl
2. Scissors ( Should have flawless working )
3. Blade ( Use a new one for smooth finishes )
4. Good workplace with enough light ( I usually work on my iron stand :p )
5. Patience ( Must or things get messy )
6. A small box ( to place screws and all the small parts that u take off from your component )

FUFNBBAIX6FRXKK.LARGE.jpg

FKAEX73IX6FRYTI.LARGE.jpg

• Place the keyboard upside down and un-screw all the screws . G710+ doesn't have any hidden screws all will be visible at the bottom of the keyboard. Make sure you put all those screws in the box # Modding requirements #6
• Now G710+ has multiple clips that hold it together nice and tight so even after removing all screws it will not come apart right away.
• I usually insert my nail between the 2 surfaces to come apart, to find clips position. Just insert the nail and slide it along the border once, you will have a nice idea where the clips are present. I use nail because it doesn't scratch the surfaces and u can feel the pressure once u get near a clip.
• After finding the clips positions ( i have shown in pics too to save some of your time ). Use your nail ( i use thumb one ) with the keyboard lying upside down insert it in ( thumb belly facing up ) near the clip position one by one and twist it outwards. You will hear a small click and the clip will open.
• It has pretty weak clips shown by green circles in pic so be careful if you hear a lil louder click u have broken your clip :p
• Now the clips near your arrow keys area really PITA but they are strong ones too after removing all of the clips at the border i pulled the frame near the arrow keys ( takes some force ) and the frame was free. Make sure to un-plug the sound drum wire ( talking about the wire in red circle in PIC # 6 )
• Now to remove the shiny part from the grey part ( see pics for reference what i am talking about ) Place the frame upside down. You will clearly see the clips that hold these 2 parts together and also some small melted pillars.
• Those pillars hold the 2 parts aligned and then they are melted to give a firm joint and also to make them settle perfectly across all their length.
• I used a blade to cut all those melted pillar head and then un-clipping the 2 parts apart.
• Did the same thing for that orange part of the keyboard.

Now the carbon fibering
• Make sure you cut the vinyl a lil extra then required just to be on the safe side.
• Some people use PVC cards and stuff like that to apply carbon fiber i use my palm never had any issue with that. Just peel one edge of the vinyl and start applying it from one side to the other.
• After applying sue your finger to make sure that its applied good enough across al the parts / edges.
• Use a sharp blade to cut the excess ( place the blade at a 10-15 degree angle with the surface and just swipe it across and get a smooth neat cut )

F1ZHSWWIX6FS3NS.LARGE.jpg

Spray Painting
• Not a fan of the glossy.shiny spray paint finish but matt paints are really hard to find.
• However here are the tips for spray painting
• Clean the surface thoroughly and spray outside.
• Dnt spray in direct sunlight.
• Shake the can well before spraying 1-2 min. Its must.
• Maintain 0.7-1 foot distance from the surface to be painted.
• Spray in rhythm like the car wipers move.
• Spray as much thin layers as u can.
• Wait 5-8 min after every coat.

FFA44KSIX6FS675.LARGE.jpg

Last edited:
Updated / Completed @ Moderator please move it to the right category of How to

Back