• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

topman12

Hello, how's everyone doing? I am new to the forum and I'm looking for some recommendations to upgrade my computer.

Let me start off with the motherboard. I don't remember the last time I upgraded my motherboard, it was probably 6 years ago when the Asus Rampage 2/3 came out along with its rival Gigabyte GA-EX58 I believe. These are the two top ones at the time. 6 years ago I purchased the Asus Rampage 2 Gene (smaller version of the Asus rampage?) and I still using it right now. So I'm like 6 years behind and have not upgraded since. What are the new ones currently in the market now that are consider the "best" for overclocking?

I do apologized in advance for not doing my research ahead of time before creating this thread. I don't even know where to start anymore. 6 years have passed by and I've changed hobby.

Let's move on to CPU. When I purchased the Asus Rampage 2 Gene, I bought the Xeon W3520 CPU to go along with it. At the time, the Xeon W3520 is equivalent to the I7-920 with higher bin. It was a good combination and also consider one of favor buyer's choice over the I7-920.

What are the new ones Intel have now? And what's a good CPU/Mobo combination?

I am upgrading my 6 yr old computer next year for some heavy benchmark projects but don't want to spend anything over $1800 USD. I like to still keep it within the high end.

Please recommend Intel CPU, motherboard and ram options.

Warmest regards,
Topman

Back