• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TIM testing procedure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol, he didnt gove permission...He has no right to do so... you bought the stuff off the shelf!

Lol, he didnt gove permission...He has no right to do so... you bought the stuff off the shelf!

That's True, and if I had just been blindly testing products at my own expense he would not have been made aware of what I was doing, but once he was aware, things changed.

Surely you are aware of those that have complaints against IC Diamond and his lawyers he has at his disposal?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411528/avoid-ic-diamond-thermal-paste

The best point to take away from this is not whether I could have done it anyway regardless of the consequences even if there were any because I had bought it myself.

But if someone has a product and it is really good to use without consequences or stipulations, they should be more than eager to have their products tested and compared to others, and if they aren't.

Then maybe it is best to steer clear of the product.

Oh yes, the scratched IHS nonsense? (did not click the link)

His lawyers wouldn't have a leg to stand on... I would have pushed right through it, while clearly explaining EXACTLY what happened. THen linked to 50lbs testing for all products... This way, you would have shown the whole picture and not have the appearance of intentionally (or accidently) slighting his product.

The true purpose of thermal compound is to replace the layer of air between the 2 contacting metal surfaces with a substance that is a better thermal conductor than air.
The least amount that fills that air gap the better, the thermal conductivity of common TIMs really is irrelevant, the thinner layer that is achieved filling the air gap is the most important factor to thermal conduction.
Under the exact same clamping pressure most TIMs perform almost identical, the exception to that are the liquid Metals.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes, the scratched IHS nonsense? (did not click the link)

His lawyers wouldn't have a leg to stand on... I would have pushed right through it, while clearly explaining EXACTLY what happened. THen linked to 50lbs testing for all products... This way, you would have shown the whole picture and not have the appearance of intentionally (or accidently) slighting his product.

Well excuse the hell out of me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait... did you take exception to the 'nonsense' part? You shouldn't have... that was likely poor wording on my part, because it was true. I was more thinking about the power team of ambulance chasers (lawyers) you were referring to there, not that the results (scratched IHS) weren't actually happening...

Last edited:
So I have been distracted doing some testing of this new TIM as I mentioned above. I have been fiddling here and there though and I almost have the data set for the cooler master ice fusion paste complete. I should be posting that either tonight or tomorrow depending on if i get the final few runs done tonight.

So I redid my TIM this morning. Lol I've gotta say it is probably the most nerve wracking part for me. Idk why, always has been so I've been Generous with it lets just say that. It's really only been within the last few weeks after watching videos on De-Lids that I've come to realize under the heat spreader the Cpu is very small. So after seeing that and reading this thread and speaking to you guys I decided to clean and apply much less. A BB, maybe just a tad bit more but a very small amount indeed. I used AS 5 so I'll give it a couple days before I give some results. Now and before today core 2 always seems about 5c higher than the rest, the other 3 are very close in temps. But I feel like I got a really solid mount this time. Since I built this rig about 3 months ago my h100 went out on me. It was the only component besides my storage spinner that I re used from my last rig. So had to get a new one couple months back so it's the third time now I've mounted the pump. We will see what happens. Last time I did this it took a couple days then the temps got a little lower so hoping it will this time too because as of now they seem about the same at idle. Gonna run some benches and game now.

Ok. Ya, after seeing how much was really there this morning I think this is still enough to cover it. I mean the temps surely aren't any higher. And the gap between core 2 and the other has narrowed slightly. I think I may have slightly smeared it last time I did it.

Ok, here is a new chart with the Cooler master Ice Fusion results added in. The low pressure mount results are kind of an anomoly and are bugging me. I intend to rerun that particular test a few more times to see if I can figure out what is going on.

image (8).png

So now it's been a few days (not 200 hours like it says but roughly half that) my idle temps are about the same maybe a noticeable Celsius Degree lower but my load temps are where I have actually seen a little improvement since literally putting half as much TIM on my Cpu for mount. After a 2 hour BF1 frenzy (this game is going to cost me my relationship Lol) max core Temps as follows 58c, 65c, 59c, 60c. Five days ago they were all well into the 60's with the hottest one topping out at 69-70c I feel like I may have tightened the pump down not quite as tight this time as well. (On purpose for the sake of testing and reporting for suggestion) so if that makes a difference as well plz let me know.

The true purpose of thermal compound is to replace the layer of air between the 2 contacting metal surfaces with a substance that is a better thermal conductor than air.
The least amount that fills that air gap the better, the thermal conductivity of common TIMs really is irrelevant, the thinner layer that is achieved filling the air gap is the most important factor to thermal conduction.
Under the exact same clamping pressure most TIMs perform almost identical, the exception to that are the liquid Metals.

- - - Updated - - -

Well excuse the hell out of me!

Could you elaborate on that? How do the liquid metals respond to variations in clamping pressure as comparied to conventional TIM products.

Last edited:
I think what he was trying to say is that at a given mounting pressure most tims will perform similarly at removing heat. The exception to this would be the liquid metals perform better.

I do not believe he was inferring that liquid metal tims react differently at different mounting pressures than typical tims.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Silver.

---------------------------------------

So I have run the test on the cooler master paste a few more times and am getting the same results so I am going to let it stand. I guess this paste just does not do well without a good mount.

As my delivery of AS5 got screwed up im gonna skip that for now and work with the Thermal Grizzly Aeronaut. I have not worked with this stuff before so it will be a new experience for me.

--------------------------------------

So my initial testing of the Aeronaut is on par with the Cooler Master Ice Fusion. IT is even displaying the weird high temperatures when subjected to the light mount. I have run some of the other pastes again on the light mount to check that there is not an issue with my mounts but they are performing as expected so I have to accept the results that these 2 pastes at least do not like a light mount.

Last edited:
Ok so I have finished testing of the Thermal Grizzly Aeronaut and have an updated graph for everyone. Will be moving on to the Gelid next unless the AS5 shows up shortly.

image (9).png

I think what he was trying to say is that at a given mounting pressure most tims will perform similarly at removing heat. The exception to this would be the liquid metals perform better.

I do not believe he was inferring that liquid metal tims react differently at different mounting pressures than typical tims.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Silver.

Thanks Lochekey, That is exactly what I meant.

When I did my testing the very last TIM I tested was the Cool Laboratory Liquid Metal Ultra, since I had no more testing to do I just left it on the air cooled testing computer which was my secondary gaming and DJ machine, I was using 2 computers for testing one water cooled one air cooled. I left the LMU on that machine for over 3 months and I was going to pull the heat sink and check everything out under it, but before I did that I reset up the parameters of the test and reran the test, the results were shocking, so I double checked everything and reran it again, and the liquid metal could not hold the same temperatures it did when it was first applied, it had increased by 2c and was below the performance of the competition. When I pulled the heat sink the liquid metal was not liquid anymore it was dried out and extremely difficult to remove. So from my own experience liquid metal TIM may be fantastic in the beginning but after it has been run for months not so much. Cool Laboratory assured me the Liquid Ultra would come off problem free but it did not for me, I ended up lapping that CPUs heat spreader.

Anyway my testing led to some interesting discoveries as I am sure yours will as well, Good Luck To You! SS

Last edited:
Back