• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TIM testing procedure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any new discoveries?

Sorry no, I have been on a short hiatus. I was trying to wrap up 4 competitions over at Hwbot before the end of March. Should have some time coming up to test as there is only 1 competitioncompetition I know of that is coming up in April.

So I have mentioned/alluded to some testing I have been doing for a startup company attempting to break into the Thermal Paste arena. I have received a final production sample for testing before it is offered for sale so intend to post my results here for everyone. I will reserve full inclusion in my round up results untill I can get a sample through normal retail channels but will share results in the meantime. I also have a full write up planned for this product and hope to have that up in the next week or so. In the meantime here is a pic.

9210.jpeg

If you test the Liquid Metal TIMs, test those last they are a pain to get off.

Believe it or not after all the testing I did, I returned to using Old Faithful, "Artic Silver 5".

Because of it's long curing time, it did not perform as well as the TIMs that require zero cure in time, but actually tested within 1c to 2c of the best of the best.

However once the Artic Silver 5 was fully cured, it's cooling performance improved as much as 3c ~ 5c actually beating the best of the best that required zero cure in time.

Since TIM is not something I change daily it just made more sense to use the AS5 as it is a fantastic product, and one of the only TIMs that actually contain Silver, (Ag).

Silver is one of the highest conductive elements when it comes to thermal conductivity.

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/thermal.html

AS5 is okay about on par pretty close to NT-H1, still think I got the best with MX-4, IC diamond 7 this tube is absolutely awful and about same as Antec Formula like no joke 5-10c hotter....about all I've used.

Just to share this information with you I had an interesting experience with the owner of Innovation Cooling regarding their submitting a test sample of IC Diamond.
He refused to submit a test sample unless I agreed to guarantee testing his product using 50lbs of clamping pressure, he told me he would supply test pressure paper that I would use, and then send back to him to be laboratory tested to see if I was using enough clamping pressure. This was already becoming an inconvenience as submitting to his demands was going to extend the testing time waiting on the pressure verification. After much consideration I decided I would agree to his terms to assure a 50lb clamping pressure on one condition.

That condition was that if his product was required to be tested at 50lbs of clamping pressure, I was also going to test the other submitted samples at the same 50lbs of pressure. He argued the other TIMs did not need 50lbs of pressure and that much pressure would thin them to literally a micro layer, I responded, "That's exactly right!, but it is only fair to the other products to test everything exactly the same.".

He refused to submit a testing sample and even though I already had a tube of IC Diamond 24, he would not give me permission to include it in the Thermal Roundup.

http://www.innovationcooling.com/application.html

- - - Updated - - -

Like realistically is there some Magic Tim? I want get some more mx-4 to be honest or try some other stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Like realistically is there some Magic Tim? I want get some more mx-4 to be honest or try some other stuff.

"Magic TIM"? No not really there are some that are slightly better than others but they are all within a few degrees C of each other as long as you buy a quality paste. The liquid metal tims will perform a little better than traditional pastes but the increased cost and difficulty working with them will normally negate the use of them. If you are happy with the performance of MX4 and can get good consistent results with it just stick with it. If you arte looking for something slightly better or just wish to try something new I would recommend giving Gelid GC extreme or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut a try.

like I said try the usual, and still that tube mx4 picked up definitely pulled ahead a little over both AS5 and this NT-h1, like you know perfect and ideal mount too...a dot using even smaller amount than they say like half a grain of rice just enough with high mounting pressure really cranked down it just spreads and covers the center you know.

The only purpose of TIM is to replace the air between the metal mounting surfaces with a better thermal conductor, and only filling the microscopic imperfections of the surface of the Heat Spreader or Bare Die and the base surface of either an Air Heat Sink or Water Cooling block.

So that said the best TIM is the one that does that imperfection filling with the highest conductivity in the thinnest possible application.

There is no magic TIM because even the best tested TIMs performance can be compromised if too much of it is used.

The application of the TIM is the magic!

So I have finally finished the testing of Arctic Silver 5. I actually had this finished a week or so back but was tied up trying to finish writing my review of the Vostok V1 (Found Here) that I forgot to get this posted up. So without further ado here is an updated chart.

image (3).png

It may be a little before my next update as I got my hands on some of the new Cooler Master "Mastergel Maker" compound and I think I may do a write up on this as well. I also still need to test the Arctic MX2 and MX4 so will try to get them updated in the near future. Whitehawk, I promise the next paste I buy will be the GC Electronics stuff I just want to get some of these others finished up first(that is unless Kingpin Cooling releases their new pasteb etween now and then, I may be forced to buy that first:chair:)

Whitehawk, I promise the next paste I buy will be the GC Electronics stuff I just want to get some of these others finished up first(that is unless Kingpin Cooling releases their new paste between now and then, I may be forced to buy that first:chair:)

NP, I just wanted to see how mine stacks up with all the others.

been using the Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut 4930K and 6700K and Conductonaut products on my delidded 7700K I like em a tad on the more expensive side but work very well imho.

Just for grins (and future reference) could we get some unconventional TIMs added to the round up? Peanut butter, mayonnaise, baby oil, cake frosting , toothpaste, etc etc. Just whatever you can think of and have patience for. My reasoning is that it would be nice to know what would be best in a pinch/while waiting for a better tube to arrive in the mail. This is in fact a serious request, but I will definitely understand it being laughed off as ridiculous. Its only like 85% ridiculous though. Really :)

I'd have to say if you want those results do them yourself and add it. No one I know here would risk the possible damage and mess that results from testing unconventional items. Jayz did some on his you tube channel. But as he has sponsors and can easily get a new proc if he frys one most here can't so won't lol.

Just for grins (and future reference) could we get some unconventional TIMs added to the round up? Peanut butter, mayonnaise, baby oil, cake frosting , toothpaste, etc etc. Just whatever you can think of and have patience for. My reasoning is that it would be nice to know what would be best in a pinch/while waiting for a better tube to arrive in the mail. This is in fact a serious request, but I will definitely understand it being laughed off as ridiculous. Its only like 85% ridiculous though. Really :)

Sorry no I have no intentions of doing this.

First as SIN said I am not risking hardware.

Second, I barely have enough time currently to get my normal testing done so do not want to add to my list of to-do.

Oh I can/will easily do this for myself :) I just thought it might be cool to have it one the same testbed done by the same person for continuity sake. I can understand being nervous for your hardware or not having enough time though.

If I haven't said already, thanks for all the hard work put into this thread. We all really appreciate the time and effort.

That Gelid GC Extreme is pretty impressive.

I find that cools the best of the conventional TIMs. However, the Noctua TIM is only a degree behind and has a better viscosity.

My own question: does IBT use the same heat-generator as LinX? The most recent LinX I was using Had Linpack using the AVX2 extensions.

This is from an Intel system I build about 2 weeks ago
Prime-HWM.jpg
cooler-master-v6gt-il.jpg
CPU: i7 6800K 3.4GHZ
MB: GA X99 Designare EX
RAM: 16GB ram Corsair Vengenance
CPU Cooler: V6GT
TIM: Type 44
1 hour Prime95 AVX
Room Temp: 70-72f (21-22c)

Back