• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 PSUs connected to one mobo with an attached mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDFTW

Registered
dk02026.jpg

The image above is of Lian-Li's DK-02, a desk/case.

I was wondering if there a way to have it so that two PSUs are connected to run on one motherboard... with a secondary motherboard attached :confused: The reason why I ask is I am upgrading from the DK-01 (see my signature) to the DK-02. That's at least 2220W :shock: But, I have two 1500 PSUs to handle it :D Since the DK-01 only has room for one PSU I have to stuff the 2nd psu behind the drawer with wires using a PCI-E opening to route in. The DK-02 however allows 2 PSUs and two systems. The other side would be empty unless there is a way to connect a secondary motherboard to the linked PSUs that are powering the main motherboard... If so then hurray! I can install a Mini-ITX :clap: If not, I can leave it empty until I get to custom water cooling in which case that space can be taken up for a reservoir and or pump. I prefer to have the mini-ITX though, lol.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I guess I am missing something. What are you powering that needs over 2000w in power supplies? Is it the build in your sig?

yes, it's called a piggy back cable and you can get them premade from the performance computer supply houses.
I use them in two of my rigs, one to power the motherboard and stuff an a smaller second to run the cooling systems, I don't need to do it but it looks cool.
you can even have the piggy back cable made to order from mod right so it all looks good.

I guess I am missing something. What are you powering that needs over 2000w in power supplies? Is it the build in your sig?

4 x R9 295 X2

- - - Updated - - -

So I'm curious. What do you use this rig for?

4 x R9 295 X2

- - - Updated - - -

So I'm curious. What do you use this rig for?

To run BOINC projects, specifically SETI@home. FOR SCIENCE :)

- - - Updated - - -

yes, it's called a piggy back cable and you can get them premade from the performance computer supply houses.
I use them in two of my rigs, one to power the motherboard and stuff an a smaller second to run the cooling systems, I don't need to do it but it looks cool.
you can even have the piggy back cable made to order from mod right so it all looks good.

Hurray! Thank you, will be checking that ASAP.

Last edited:

I checked computersupplyhouse.us and they don't have anything close to it listed on their site.

I checked modright.com and the same thing they don't have anything close to what I'm looking for.

Same goes for moddiy.com and performance-pcs.com. I contacted them all and now just waiting on a reply, except for moddiy.com I have made contact and they don't sell anything like it.

You can start PSU by shorting black+green wire. When you make a cable that connects that in the 2nd PSU then it will run both ... or if you are not turning off this PC then you can simply make a switch to turn on one PSU before you turn on PC and this way graphics cards will get power before you start everything else and will boot without issues. I was using 2 psu for benching long time ago and I was always doing it this way. It's not the best if you want to make it "clean" of course :)

Those won't allow me to accomplish what I hope to do...

Primary PSU powers: ATX System (my signature) + 2 (out of 4) 295X2s.
Secondary PSU powers: the remaining 2 295X2s AND a Mini-ITX system.

Last edited:
Back