• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Marathon Season V January: Unigine Heaven Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Test it as I said... proves it conclusively that it's not using avx. I've seen enough to make an informed opinion.

Cache was running at 4.2ghz, shouldn't give issue plus 2h stable 26.6 (nothing else crashes), mem is memtest 24h stable, GPU is heaven 4.0 2h stable. And i already said that it could be that 26.6 2h simply isn't enough. Not going to bother over it, i spent more then enough time troubleshooting to get this to work in the 1st place. These "pre-packed" benchs always give me more trouble then their worth :p

Only thing im curious about is these supposed "tweaks" Johan doesn't want to spill ;)

Last edited:
I highly doubt it has anything to do with AVX though. If that wasn't a clean OS it could be just about anything

Have been running it for close to 7 months now TBF. Nothing else crashes though :confused:

Typically systems aren't pushed as hard day to day as they are benching. That's why we always suggest people use a seperate drive for benching. Since you WILL corrupt windows and most likely a BIOS from time to time. Installing OS is like a second job for me.

just test it as I said to prove it already...correlations prove nothing. Correlation is not causation, remember.

As far as the tweaks, I'll pm you in a little bit after I send the kids to school...but caddi already mentioned it. ;)

Last edited:
I'm not doubting any of you (said it in the 1st post that it was the 1st thing that jumped to mind). Regardless i would have to get a board that has AVX offset to test it (thought that was a Kaby Lake novelty). Maybe when i trade up to a 6c/12t KL or a Ryzen if their as good as they say ?

I'm surprised the hero doesnt. Both my Extreme z170 and x99 have that as an option...with skylake and broadwell-e

You aren't doubting us, but staunchly defend your point in the face of what we are saying.

I don't think KL is going to have a hex core variant.

Last edited:
Not on the hero, nope, no way sir

I don't see it on the earlier bios version of the z170 extreme and don't have the board any more to verify. Its on the X99 BW-E though...and on Z270 (which works with Skylake of course).

170117122751.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Typically systems aren't pushed as hard day to day as they are benching. That's why we always suggest people use a seperate drive for benching. Since you WILL corrupt windows and most likely a BIOS from time to time. Installing OS is like a second job for me.
:cheers:to that! I have a cloned image and separate HD/SSD for every one of benching rigs. Sure makes it less of a hassle when I eventually bork the OS, especially when pushing ram!

I can say that the latest bios for the asus maximus viii gene is complete junk. stability went down the toilet with it. had to revert back for even just daily stability

Same with the last 2 for the VIII Hero from what i see in the forums, but it's clearly stated that 3101 is a beta. The introduction of KL uCode in 2202 seems to have completely screwed up stability and most that tried 3101 had to flash back to previous (i'll stay with 2001 for now). Some kinks are always to be expected with every new CPU revision i suppose.

SwartHack/EVGA 980TI HydroCopper/water/5234.919

Sometime ago I recall Johan mentioning he preferred Afterburner for GPU OC. At the time I thought you had to use the "vendor" OC software.
So after cursing EVGA PrecisionX I switched over to Afterburner, few questions....

1- Is Kombuster something I should look into more. I have played around with it in the past...
2- When you define the settings in whatever "OC tool" one may be using, should you leave it running in the background or kill it??

Thanks for any feedback!!!

Cheers!

Screen Shot 01-17-17 at 10.27 PM.JPG
http://hwbot.org/submission/3428309..._preset_geforce_gtx_980_ti_5234.92_dx11_marks

I don't think that was me Swart, I may have suggested it but I've always been partial to NVidia inspector. Great OC software. Light on the system with oodles of driver settings. My biggest beef would be the fans. You can save OC profiles but still have to set the fan speed manually.

1. That's your choice... it's similar to Furmark which we don't recommend using anyway (overkill, throttles pascal at stock)..
2. Kill it. It will still keep the clocks if that is what you are asking...

Back