• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project: Redefine R5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaTo

Finally I got the time to make a log about this build.
This is a build I did with huge support from MSI Nordic. Without them, this build would never had been a reality.

h1VOXnf.png

My plan from the start was to make a very unique Define R5 build, something different, something that had hopefully never been seen before.
Therefore I began looking at the case to figure out, in what way I could change the layout of the case completely. I then got the idea of moving the PSU to the front top of the case, which gave me the oppotunity to fit a 420mm radiator in the bottom of the case.
Afterwards I got the idea to rotate the graphics card 90° so that the cooler will be facing the window.
Regarding the window, I was not happy with the little window that the R5 provides. I therefore decided to go with a full plexi sidepanel made of 5mm thick acrylic.
Those were the basic ideas before actually started the build.

The specifications for the build are following.

Hardware:

MSI Z170A MPower Titanium
Intel i5 – 6600K
MSI GTX1080 GamingX 8G
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 2400MHz 4x4Gb
Intel 600p M.2 128Gb
Seasonic Silent Snow 750W
Fractal Define R5

Watercooling:

Alphacool VPP655 – PWM
Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Plexi
Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 420mm
Alphacool Eisrohr 13/10mm PETG
Alphacool Ultra Pure Water
Mayhems Dye Purple
Monsoon Hardline fittings
Watercool HEATKILLER IV Pro

I have a ”softspot” for custom cables. Therefore are all the cables and sleeving made by myself.
Making this build was a very stressfull process for me. I had a very tight time schedule, so not very much time to do a whole lot of modding. But I managed to pull it off and have the build ready for DreamHack Winter.

I really hope that all of you like the build. Please let me know what you think of this build/mod.
Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

First some pictures of the hardware.

oeFrIPL.jpg

1MLXpOO.jpg

dlf4XX5.jpg

RpLScvx.jpg

H5OLvrJ.jpg

IbLLawj.jpg

Then a little work in progress shots of the cables.

frAKIR0.jpg

NE7BzpW.jpg

yIq0x33.jpg

And finally, the build it self.:)

9IadlVW.jpg

nUvcXZZ.jpg

PcDWuDz.jpg

I6w0OEs.jpg

ShqCJZu.jpg

lmDbFZA.jpg

p2vSnjL.jpg

ZgcHfgI.jpg