• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time water cooling . . . . failed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediman

Finally got around to putting together my first water cooling rig. I got a bunch of parts years ago and never actually used them. I started putting it all together and found out I was short two fittings. I had a tight place I needed to get out of so I ordered two brand new alpha cool 45 degree compression fittings. Finally got it all put together and went to fill it and both of the brand new fittings leaked at the rotary (not at either fitting joint) while all my 8 year old fittings and washers were invincible. Tore it all apart. Thanks alpha cool for wasting x many hours of my life and discouraging me enough to give up on the sunk cost of all this gear. Air cooling for life. :bang head

Dont give up from one bad experience , thats why you leak tested . But sry you had to deal with this .

Your all in after all this time are just those rotaries.. return them and get a different brand.

Sorry it discouraged... dust yourself off and get back on that horse!

no pics because I tore it all out to drain it and put back in air. I'm sure I'll have to fight some obnoxious person who refused to take a return and requires me to pay shipping to return their faulty product which will end up costing as much as just getting new ones which I don't feel particularly inclined to do as vacation is over.

Sell off what you have that is in good working order to recoup as much currency as possible.

You are not cut out for water cooling if prepared to give up so easily.

Finally got around to putting together my first water cooling rig. I got a bunch of parts years ago and never actually used them. I started putting it all together and found out I was short two fittings. I had a tight place I needed to get out of so I ordered two brand new alpha cool 45 degree compression fittings. Finally got it all put together and went to fill it and both of the brand new fittings leaked at the rotary (not at either fitting joint) while all my 8 year old fittings and washers were invincible. Tore it all apart. Thanks alpha cool for wasting x many hours of my life and discouraging me enough to give up on the sunk cost of all this gear. Air cooling for life. :bang head

I've never had a Bitspower rotary leak, but have had the same experience with the Alpha Cool rotaries.

It may be discouraging but don't give up, the performance difference between the two types of cooling is worth the extra hassles you may encounter.

Water cooling may not be for everyone just because of the expense but if you've already bought almost everything and are down to 2 fittings try again.

Man I gotta agree with the crowd here. I am actually pretty busy right now in this period of my life but PC is my hobby and I love everything about it. Thing is you already had the entire loop together so it won't take any planning next time it'll be quick as hell. Never let a company get away with that s*** they need to know what is up with their product. I absolutely can't wait to build a custom loop, and look forward to clearing out a space in the closet to put all the lamps/tv's/stereo equipment/beer bottles/and any other sort of breakables that may cross my path during my spells of rage in between failed attemps/learning curve. I'll even probably send the ol' lady to a ******* spa or to get her nails done or some **** so she doesn't have to be there to see it.

But I know what it's like to only have one pc and to not want to wait to be able to use but reacquaint yourself with the tech world a few days and tear her apart again when you get new fittings. This is Personal Computer, take that **** personal and take some pics when it's finished.

I've had the same problem with a pair of Bitspower 90 Deg rotories I had ordered from PPCS. They gladly RMA'd them for me. Sadly the replacement ones leaked too.

Don't give up. That's just a minor hickup on the road. If you're not willing to deal with faulty fittings which I understand is a inconvenience, I can't imagine what your world would be like if you had to do maintenance or something else happened down the road. I had a 90 degree Bitspower fitting leak on me after a annual tear down a few years ago. It finally gave away and I replaced it. All has been good since. I've even gone through worse if you really want to know but I won't get into that as it wasn't related to watercooling but blown out components. It's part of the beast.

post-25179-you-can-do-it.gif

I have to concur with all my colleagues here. You need to back away, take five, clean and return the defective parts and purchase the other different ones. Learn from it, and get back to it.

We all have faith in you young grasshoppa :thup:

You already have all the stuff you need! Replace these rotaries and youre done! I know that it will cost money but its worth it! You can take a break but you must continue and end your mission soldier!

Man I remember back in the day my Acrylic top on the water block lost it's seal. I came home to a water soaked PC. Video card, the slot, all down the motherboard into the PSU. It was a complete nightmare. Tore it all down and disassembled everything. Cleaned the card and board the best I could and just replaced the PSU. It sucked.

Uses water cooling even 9 years after the incident.

I agree. Snag a couple new fittings and have at it again. The rewards are far greater on liquid cooling than it is on air cooling.

GLHF

Back