• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Foxconn Purus server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can you maybe show us how did u connected the fans? Did u change pin cables/ do you keep PWM/Signal ones or just use the + and -?

Although the fans connectors on the mobo have 5 pins, they seem to be done to PC standard if you use 3 or 4 pin fans. The ones I've tried just worked when connected. So no need for modification. It seems like it uses PWN with 4 pin fans but I haven't verified that in detail.

Hey
Yeah you are right. I'm moding mine one right now as well.

On a side note I called the support and they have no info as to the motherboard as I wanted to see if we can plug in E5 V2 12 cores on to it(it does not work according to them). Do you have any idea where/how to find bios to this system? Could be amazing investment if you can drop in in 1 year or so a 12 core from 8 core. 50-60% more power for 50% price.

I'm guessing this was a custom system for a large customer with no support beyond that. No idea about CPU compatibility. I'm treating it "as is" as I'm not sure it is economic to put more into it than putting it elsewhere.

I found the Hyper 212 fine for my 2650s. Does your coolers still interfere if you were to rotate them 90 degrees? That's how I'm running mine at the moment to try and get some airflow sideways.

Nope I cant but them both horizontally. There is 2mm overlap. Which I can probably grind away with sand paper or something.... but atm I put 1 at 90degree rotated. So far Im at 50C 100% cpu usage for past 40 mins. So it looks like its fine. CPU solid 3ghz Turbo OC

Nope I cant but them both horizontally. There is 2mm overlap. Which I can probably grind away with sand paper or something.... but atm I put 1 at 90degree rotated. So far Im at 50C 100% cpu usage for past 40 mins. So it looks like its fine. CPU solid 3ghz Turbo OC

I seem to be fixed at 2.6ghz with the 2670 chips... could you send me screenshots of your bios screens please.... I am kindo of stuck at the moment....

On core clock, poke around, there is a setting somewhere for the maximum clock. I think mine defaulted to something silly like 1.8 GHz.

Having stability problems with mine ever since I moved it out of the rack. Through trial and error I find it is stable with half the ram in (32GB). With all ram in, it freezes under load. Note to self, borrow the IR camera from work.

PC3-10600R-9-10-JP Micron (8 sticks)
PC3-10600R-9-10-J0 Micron (4 sticks)
PC3-10600R-9-11-J0 Micron (2 sticks)
PC3-10600R-9-10-E1 Nanya (2 sticks)

Looking at my ram, I got the above modules with the server. All HP 500203-061. Any idea what the markings after the 9 are? I presume the 9 is CL9, and have verified in the Micron datasheet for the module family the timings are 9-9-9 which is what the system uses. The datasheet doesn't offer any clues to the above though.

I don't actually need 64GB of ram, but it seems a waste to have 32GB sitting idle outside the system. Far better to sit idle inside the system :)

On core clock, poke around, there is a setting somewhere for the maximum clock. I think mine defaulted to something silly like 1.8 GHz.

Having stability problems with mine ever since I moved it out of the rack. Through trial and error I find it is stable with half the ram in (32GB). With all ram in, it freezes under load. Note to self, borrow the IR camera from work.

PC3-10600R-9-10-JP Micron (8 sticks)
PC3-10600R-9-10-J0 Micron (4 sticks)
PC3-10600R-9-11-J0 Micron (2 sticks)
PC3-10600R-9-10-E1 Nanya (2 sticks)

Looking at my ram, I got the above modules with the server. All HP 500203-061. Any idea what the markings after the 9 are? I presume the 9 is CL9, and have verified in the Micron datasheet for the module family the timings are 9-9-9 which is what the system uses. The datasheet doesn't offer any clues to the above though.

I don't actually need 64GB of ram, but it seems a waste to have 32GB sitting idle outside the system. Far better to sit idle inside the system :)

The 9 is for CL9 which is the cas latency. I run my server with 64Gb rendering 24/7 with no issues, the speed is stuck at 2.6 and hot higher though... should investigate the bios furthter.

Cheers

H

I seem to be fixed at 2.6ghz with the 2670 chips... could you send me screenshots of your bios screens please.... I am kindo of stuck at the moment....

Make sure you enable turbo boost. Its at the bottom of CPU u click it goes to new section then you have change power managment to manual I believe and then enable turbo boost.

The 9 is for CL9 which is the cas latency. I run my server with 64Gb rendering 24/7 with no issues, the speed is stuck at 2.6 and hot higher though... should investigate the bios furthter.

It's the stuff after the 9 I'm interested in... could there be something to do with ram matching? Doesn't explain why it used to work while it was in the rack and not now. I'm not moving all back to test it. I'm using the 8 sticks with same marking at the moment so I can get quad channel on both sockets.

Actually, could NUMA be involved somehow? I think I ran early on with NUMA off. If it wasn't such a pain to move ram in and out with the new coolers in place I would try it again...

@mackerel at some of ur screens u have that 120mm fan mounted to that arm that u can tweak. What is that arm where can I get it?

Really not sure what you are talking about. The Brown Noctua fan is mounted to the case/frame. The blue LED fan isn't mounted on anything and is just resting unfixed. The black fan in early pic is fitted on a radiator. So none of them are on any kind of arm as such.

Hi Guys, I m already into server second life mods, writing you from a proliant DL380Gen6 redone, I m going for the same insane FOXCONN project :) bought a similar one out of Ebay, Foxconn purus server, super noisy, super cheap, no lid, 2X Xeon E5-2650 ... and no PCI ... don't know at this stage how it's gonna look as i m still waiting delivery. Probably i ll try a cheap PCI extention card plugged on the USBs and see if i can hookup Graphics card on this ? dont even know if its USB3.0 there. ... I wanted to know what are you thoughts , and maybe ask you how did you tweak the bios to run without the standard original fans . best, F.

USB2 only. What sort of PCI extension were you thinking about? Didn't need to change anything in bios to replace fans.

good news for the bios , cause HP server for example wouldn't boot without all fans connected and healthy...
means all option are on the table for cooling , and super silent Water cooling too. Maybe OCs ... (but i m maybe dreaming here) :)
Also What best definition could you get out of the VGA there ? otherwise i

Back