• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Foxconn Purus server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It took some figuring out, but as far as I can tell that ebay kit takes a PCIe 1x connection and takes it to 2xPCI. Unless you got a different version of the server than me, there is no 1x to connect it to. The USB connector I don't think is actually USB and is used as a non-standard connection.

- - - Updated - - -

I found two Hyper 212 plenty for cooling the 2650s that came with mine. Wouldn't look to spend more on it than necessary. Doubt you can OC without extreme modding. The VGA chip on there, I think I got 1280x1024 or similar with the Windows Standard VGA driver, but after installing the actual one for the chip I seemed to be limited to 1024x768.

@mackerel How is your stability? I run mine at 100% usage for few hours and then out of the blue restart. Did u have any issues? Did u cool anything else than CPUS ? I run now 2x standard CPU cooler and get 57C AIDA stress test for 2h so far so good but I wonder why it restarts.

On a side note yeah this is one of best servers that u can buy if u want a cheap render node. U can also use Dells' or at least 6100 ones as u can replace fan and Dell wont whine like HP - HP are the workst. Avoid like fire.

On a side note AVOID Cooler master 212 Fans! They have terrrible connector. You won't be able to use that on other server - or there is chance of that. Get Silverstone AR07 - I was able to mount that beast on both Foxconn and Dell nodes. Coolermaster would not fit.

When I got it stability was fine.
When I moved it out of the rack case, for reasons still unknown I can only run stably with 32GB of ram. It will freeze quickly under load if 64GB is in it. I don't think it is either CPU or ram temperatures.
I tried cooling other parts but it didn't seem to make much difference.
Don't know what problem you have with the 212 fans. They work fine on everything I've thrown at it, and have two of them on the server right now. The connector is a standard 4 pin PWM, and fits no problem on the mobo's 5 pin connection without modification.

otherwise if too low, I ll go on the PCI adapter solution even if that might be slow-ish once hooked up on some usb 2 , it remains quite cheap PC power .

When I got it stability was fine.
When I moved it out of the rack case, for reasons still unknown I can only run stably with 32GB of ram. It will freeze quickly under load if 64GB is in it. I don't think it is either CPU or ram temperatures.
I tried cooling other parts but it didn't seem to make much difference.
Don't know what problem you have with the 212 fans. They work fine on everything I've thrown at it, and have two of them on the server right now. The connector is a standard 4 pin PWM, and fits no problem on the mobo's 5 pin connection without modification.

Mmm I dont have problem with ram so far, so far they all go 64gb and 3ghz OC stable for past 2h. Will see if it will crash. Kinky !

The Issues with 212 fans that I have is that their screws are 4mm diameter. Where *** Dell one uses 3mm diameter. So you can't mont that fan on that server. Silverstone have 2 types, 3mm and 4 mm. The mount is also screwed on to fan and not wacked on top like 212 is. Its a bad mounting system basically. Instead of probiding 2 sets of mounts for 2 socket 212 use scisors that are a bit flimsy. The price is the same but silverstone will fit in to different sockets using stock tools. But you cant have 2x silverstone in horizontal position, depending on cpu location.

Also about This server more info here > https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-foxconn-server-£250.11592/page-2#post-125533

Are you trying to mount the fan to something else? I leave it on the heatsink like any other normal use. The mount mechanism might not be the best but you do it once and that's it.

Hey

Hehehe nope thats not the problem... this is the problem >http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...2011-3-newer?p=7990282&viewfull=1#post7990282
212 screws do not fit in socket. The Silverstone provided 2 sets of screws so it fitted. Just saying that Silverstone = the same price but a bit better with fitment.

As to restarting. I just found out your post 14. U had the restarts too due to possibly "RAM" failure, I think I have that issues too. Will put a fan over near my ram see if that helps.

By the way the 2 black radiators at the bottom are you cooling them in any way ?

Ok, when you said fan, I took it as literally the fan, not the whole cooler. I dunno about the screw sizes but the 212 fits this server perfectly.

The mobo heatsinks get indirect cooling from general airflow currently. I haven't had any known problems from that.

Mmm I'll put fan on top of ram see if cooling that fixes the restarts, Fingers cross :- )
I don't use any fans for my RAM in my dual E5-2670 rig and it is 100% stable since November. Two Cooler Master Hyper 212s with Noctua NA-RC7 Low Noise Adapters (LNA) to slow down and quiet the fans provide CPU cooling. Only using the two fans that came with the Corsair Carbide Clear 400C case and temps are fine. The top of the case is completely ventilated so heat just rises out the top.

Dual Xeon E5-2670.jpg

That's a different mobo though, may be a quirk of the one we're using? Running it outside original design might mean something is overheating.

I don't use any fans for my RAM in my dual E5-2670 rig and it is 100% stable since November. Two Cooler Master Hyper 212s with Noctua NA-RC7 Low Noise Adapters (LNA) to slow down and quiet the fans provide CPU cooling. Only using the two fans that came with the Corsair Carbide Clear 400C case and temps are fine. The top of the case is completely ventilated so heat just rises out the top.

View attachment 187915

Your left and right fan must provide enough air over ram to cool them down or its because its different mobo design. In any case nice looking mobo, where u buy that server?

Well it helped when I reversed the fan on CPU2, temps no are even across all 16 cores going to between 65C and 69C under Prime95. I bought the combo from Natex, so it is used equipment. Very inexpensive, $350 shipped for the Intel motherboard, dual E5-2670s and 32 GB (4 GB x 8) DDR3-1333. The case was an open box from Microcenter for $40. I bought just to have something to play with until Ryzen came out but it runs so good, I'll probably just keep it.

Hi

I have a similiar server just like yours. I had the stability problem aswell. The problem was one memory dimm, after it was tracked down the machine is rock stable.

How did you figure out the ip adress of the managment port?

Could you please tell the exact type of sfp+ to rj45 adapter you are using on this? I'm currently running network on usb-to lan adapters. I'm not sure where you got yours. I bought mine at bargain hardware http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/ch...core-cloud-foxconn-server-configure-to-order/ They recently added drivers to the machines page.

I'm running windows 10 on this also tried windows server 2016 which also worked fine.

SFP+ to RJ45 adapter is one of: https://www.finisar.com/sites/defau..._sfp_optical_transceiver_productspecreve1.pdf which I got from ebay. I also got my server from Bargain Hardware via their ebay store.

To get ip address of admin port, I just plugged it in and looked at my router which assigns IP addresses.

As for troubleshooting the dimms... maybe that'll be for when I have too much time on my hands. Just running 32GB is plenty to get on with for now... half tempted to get a 2nd one, but that'll be excessive.

Hello to everybody.
I've got three of these servers.

About the usb ports, i would like to report that this servers has other an usb ports connector directly on the motherboards, so no needs to struggle with usb hub on the two frontal usb ports.

Just you need a cable with usbs ports, to make it clear, you need the one that you usually find on classic desktop cabinet that relys mobo to frontal usb ports.
Here some pictures
20170219_100530.jpg
20170219_100606.jpg
20170219_100939.jpg
20170219_100951.jpg

Back