• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Foxconn Purus server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As Mackerel said, I bought the SFP+ to RJ45 adapter, brand Finisar model FCMJ-8521-3
I installed the Intel 82599 10 Gigabit Network Controller Drivers, but when I plug the Finisar adapter, nothing happens.
Even if i plug a network cable to a switch, the light on the switch doesn't turn on. In network connections it says cable unplugged
So questions are

1) Do this Finisar adapter need a driver? (I don't thinks so because the 10GB network connetion appears)
2) Should I enable something in bios?

3) Using the Finisar adapter, the lan cable could it be connected to a classic switch or i need .....

arghhh i found the answer by my self. The lan cable MUST be conneted to a gigabit switch.
If it is not Gigabit it won't work

Regards

Awesome stuff :). I love to see what seems like a mobo with 2 CPU slots. I have no clue what its called or used for, but always looks cool.

I also always wonder, what do you all do with these things? I mean, it's not your daily use for whatever you do plus games, is it?

Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Maya, Solid works, Oracle, SQL etc

Last edited:
The one I started this thread for I use only for compute tasks. There's no good video output on it, and no possibility to add one, so when I need a bit of extra heating I load up its cores with work.

Hi! There has been quiet for a while now, but I hope you guys can help me. I have a few of these purus machines. I decided to change the screamer style fans to regular ones, did the task last night but after the cooler swap, the computer won't boot. The new fans spin like everything was ok. The rpm goes up as the old ones did. Then after this high rpm state is over they stop and then start for a few sec and this repeats again and again. Have any idea what the problem might be? I was very cautious, I didn't hurt any of the components. Is something that needs reset?

If you connect the original ones back, does the system work again? It's been a long time since I tinkered with the settings in mine, wonder if there is some kind of fan speed detection/protection system that isn't happy. Might be a setting in bios to change that.

Thanks, for the reply, just figured it out. One of the PSUs internal processor cable seems to be the problem. If I move the cabel a little sometimes it boots sometimes it don't. I think I have to buy a new psu for this unit.

A Few questions from a Noob

Hi,

I have the opportunity to acquire a few of these servers at a good price and most of my questions have been answered in this thread.

One main question remains, does this board work with a standard ATX PSU? How noisy is the PSU it comes with?

Also what that display it come with, anything usefull?

Thnx!

I haven't tried but the PSU looks like standard ATX, although due to the connector positions the cable lengths might get interesting. From memory both CPU sockets take a 12V input so make sure the PSU provides that if you want to replace it, this may be limited to higher end PSUs. I found the included PSU to be quiet enough to use at home no problem, and still use it now. I did have to replace the CPU cooling to maintain sanity.

Display output is VGA only, I can't be sure but max resolution but it isn't much, like 1280x1024 from memory. It is only good for basic tasks. There is no expansion possibility for the display output. Basically these are ideal for compute uses, where you set it up and manage it by other means.

I haven't tried but the PSU looks like standard ATX, although due to the connector positions the cable lengths might get interesting. From memory both CPU sockets take a 12V input so make sure the PSU provides that if you want to replace it, this may be limited to higher end PSUs. I found the included PSU to be quiet enough to use at home no problem, and still use it now. I did have to replace the CPU cooling to maintain sanity.

Display output is VGA only, I can't be sure but max resolution but it isn't much, like 1280x1024 from memory. It is only good for basic tasks. There is no expansion possibility for the display output. Basically these are ideal for compute uses, where you set it up and manage it by other means.

I was just thinking as 3D render slaves and server tasks, so that part I have clear, however I was thinking about using Infiband, however since it already comes with SFP+ 10Gb.... another component I won't have to buy..

One thing that would be very interesting to know is if these PCIE headers are enabled or not in BIOS/Software and only the PCIe Sockets have been removed, How would someone go about it to find out? Voltimeter?

Volt meter might indicate if they're connected anywhere at all, but that's no guarantee they're enabled even if you can fit a socket yourself. I just had a look on ebay, and found some what look like compatible sockets at a low cost although long delivery from far east. I'll try poking a dvm onto mine shortly to see if there's power. Might be the easiest way to see if it is connected at all, and if so, I'll try it.

I could also look at the bios to see if there's anything in there that looks like it might be PCIe settings, as that'll be a hint it is enabled even if not fitted.

Awesome stuff :). I love to see what seems like a mobo with 2 CPU slots. I have no clue what its called or used for, but always looks cool.

I also always wonder, what do you all do with these things? I mean, it's not your daily use for whatever you do plus games, is it?

3D Rendering with Lightwave and high end server stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Volt meter might indicate if they're connected anywhere at all, but that's no guarantee they're enabled even if you can fit a socket yourself. I just had a look on ebay, and found some what look like compatible sockets at a low cost although long delivery from far east. I'll try poking a dvm onto mine shortly to see if there's power. Might be the easiest way to see if it is connected at all, and if so, I'll try it.

I could also look at the bios to see if there's anything in there that looks like it might be PCIe settings, as that'll be a hint it is enabled even if not fitted.

As far as I know, the PCIe bus is controlled directly by the CPU's, that how 2 Xeons give you 80 PCIe lanes, USB, SATA, Network, VGA are all connected to the PCIe bus.. it might be as well as there are just no PCIe Connectors, Theoretically, one could attach 4 PCIe x16 to those unused ports.

Well, I ordered the connectors anyway. As far as I can tell in the photos the pin pattern seems to match those on the mobo. Oh, where did you get 4 slots from? I only see two sets of pads. The spacing also looks like they might be intended for use with a riser.

2 x Slots x 2 riser cards a 2 slots each = 4 slots.

Yeah the Pin Pattern is PCIE, no doubt, question is are the lanes connected?

For the cost of the connector, 2-5 Dollars and if someone knows how to do it, its easy to find out, installing the socket seems to be a question of 10 minutes, with the right equipment.

I was just watching some youtube videos on how to install/replace pcie slots... crazy stuff
On Monday I'll probably place my order for my first 2 units, for now I'm not in need for GPU computing, but it would be a nice added bonus, cheap upgrade path within the next 12 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I forgot to ask you, what are the dimensions of the board? And are the mounting holes in line with ATX specs? I found some cheap cases that if gutted they would house these boards perfectly.

From memory, the board form factor was SSI-EEB. Think EATX with variations on hole positions. https://ssiforum.org/free-ssi-forum-specifications/ try the 2011 document, page 34. Looks about same hole positions and major components.

I've some experience in the past working with components. It will be more than a 10 minute job for someone like me who isn't regularly doing this. I can access equipment at work. Cleaning the holes on the mobo of existing solder will be the biggest timesink, fitting the slots is relatively easy after that. There are a lot of contacts to manually do... as said, I did order a couple of what look to be compatible sockets but it might take a week or two to get here. Cost was practically nothing. It would be interesting if a real GPU could be added to this system.

Not sure what you're referring to with the two slot risers. If the mobo does plain 16x, it'll have the same restrictions as any other 16x slot unless you use some supported switching capability.

what are the specs of the SFP+ port on the board? - This SFP+ stuff seems a bit confusing

Thnx

I've no clue about SPF+ stuff. Got an adapter for it to go to gigabit ethernet and all's fine for my uses.

PCIe connectors have arrived. I'll double check they'll fit later, and if so will take it along with the server into work and will try to fit it tomorrow.

Project is off. To desolder the existing holes is a much bigger job than thought. I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but with the tools I have it is going to be impossible in a sane amount of time. I didn't even mange a single hole cleared in my lunch break and that was avoiding ground plane ones. We do have a hot air blower but this risks blowing other surface mount components away. Also I noticed what looked like a bunch of not-fit capacitor pads alongside the PCIe connectors. These may be related. It might be possible to guess from observing other boards, but the effort required at this point is beyond my interest level.

Back