• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
make it a 6 core with soldered IHS and i'm in

Yup. That is kind of where I am at.

Once they bring 6c/12t to the mainstream platform I will up grade. With the way my 2600K still performs in my uses, I cannot justify spending the money for minimal gains.

Nice review. It does kind of make me chuckle that the mythical and rare 5ghz overclock will become common place.

E_D.......I have a question. Introducing a 7700k onto the z170 platform, will that open up any more Pcie lanes? Or would it need a z270 chipset with it to open anymore lanes up?

In the review you said that "all cores boost to 4.4 GHz" That is great, how did you test that?

I could not find that Intel specification?

Intel's spec for the i7-7700K is 4.2GHz Base Clock, 4.4GHz All-Core Turbo Clock, and 4.5GHz single=core Turbo Clock.
It was part of their confidential information given to us under NDA, you can find it listed in any review on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are making me second guess myself now...

I don't have my materials here at CES to confirm or deny your suspicion. Looking around at reviews, they all seem to mention 4.5GHz, but that is typically single core. The 6700K didn't have anything but 4.2 GHz on on a single core though...

Once intel updates, we can confirm here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005523.html

I'llreport back after I return. :)

EDIT: I found it in my notes from the conference call with Intel a couple weeks prior to release. 4.4 GHz all cores, 4.5 GHz single. :)

Last edited:
So I finished up reading this review, of course after I bought all my parts. ;)

This chip seems to be a decent upgrade for my aged 2600k.

So I finished up reading this review, of course after I bought all my parts. ;)

This chip seems to be a decent upgrade for my aged 2600k.

What does the i7 7700k at 4.5GHz run for temperature with Hyper 212 stress testing.

I will say that my particular chip GREATLY benefited from a delid. I dropped nearly 8c at idle, and 25c while benchmarking the chip (under water both times, same OC of 5.0 ghz at 1.325 volts). I went from peeking around 83c to peaking at 58c. These chips are easily stable at 5.0 ghz. But they do tend to run hot from my limited experience.

I'm curious, what kind of improvements did you see in your upgrade?

My 2600k was holding back my GPU by easily 15-20fps in games like Witcher 3 and Deux Ex Mankind Divided. Other improvements came from the faster ram speeds and the z270 board, where I swear my internet speeds are faster, or at least FEEL faster.

I will say it doesn't feel like the massive performance leap from Core2Duo to I7 back in 2011. But enough of a change after 6 years to make it feel worth it for me now.

Yea, I got the itch to build a new system. Although my 2500k clocked at 5000 seems to be fine for me now that I just got a 1070 vid card, Doom seems butter smooth.
I like the overclock ability of the i7 7700k with the z270 board. Thought about Intels high end cpu but way too much money for the 6950, I'm not a video editing guy.

Back