• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to make the jump from 1080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Well, my 27" 1080 monitor just died. I used it and a 24" 1080 on their default stands, so they didn't quite match up.

I've got a 3 monitor stand that I haven't used yet, that will fit up to 3 27" monitors. So, I'm thinking I'll replace the 27" one with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84KG0646 Acer 27" IPS 2560x1440 narrow bezel for $350.

Then over the next 3-6 months get 2 more matching ones.

I do some light gaming, and watch movies on it occasionally, tending to be Netflix, or other streaming service. I'll have a GTX 1080 and probably 1 to 3 1070s in the system.

Good choice, or is there a better option in the same price range?

Thanks!

It really depends on the types of games you play and how much gaming you do I guess but with a gtx 1080 you can more than handle 100 fps on pretty much every game out there. I have an Asus 1440p 144hz 27" monitor with an ips display that I paid 489$ for at Frys. And there are a couple off brands like Pixio that have a 27" 144hz 1440p display for about the same price as that Acer you're looking at. I love Gaming at 1440p but after using this 144hz monitor I could never go back to 60hz. I almost considered getting two gtx 1070's instead of a 1080 so I could play at 4k but I'd be limited to 60hz. I have a bunch of first person shooters, pretty much all of the new ones. And with games like that and games like The Division and The Witcher, playing at 80-120 fps is so noticeable and more fluid and smooth and just an all around better and more immersive experience to me than topping out at 60. Just something to think about.

Looks like the Pixio that you mentioned is about the only one that has all IPS 1440p and 144hz around $400 that I can find. And it has pretty wide bezels. I'll have to think on it.

yes the wide bezel sucks but its a good price on paper benq might make something cheap but honestly the asus i got for 489 might be the next best deal im happy with it i havent experienced g sync yet so idk what im missing there but i did have the mg278q first non ips then exchanged for the mg279q for only 4 dollars more lol most of the time you can get a non ips for a good deal cheaper i like the ips better but it was a huge difference but i do like it better the gsync version of my monitor is 800 ive seen it on sale for 700 a couple times but never less than that so i just stayed with mine.

Well, I took apart the 'dead' monitor to check out. I've repaired monitors before, but this is my first LED backlit monitor I've tried to repair. There were blown caps, but after re-capping it, it still won't turn on. I verified that the 19V power supply was delivering 19V, so it isn't a cable/transformer problem.

I guess it is time to make a decision and pony up the cash.

Ya that sucks. I've been having a second monitor on my mind as well. There are some games the gtx 1080 will do great on at 4k and some games are fine at 60hz as well so I'm strongly considering getting a 27-28" 4k monitor to put next to my 1440p. Besides that I like to be able to pause a game and be able to open a browser or what not and would like to be able to do that. And have my hw monitors, my fan software, and my gpu software accessible on another screen while I game too. And while I'm here, do you lose any noticeable frame rate with two displays if you're only gaming on one and using the second for the above mentioned?

I haven't tried gaming on multiple monitors yet, so I can't really comment. Sorry.

No not gaming on multiple just gaming on one and having the second monitor just to be able use your browser or something on while you're gaming on the other monitor.

No not gaming on multiple just gaming on one and having the second monitor just to be able use your browser or something on while you're gaming on the other monitor.
I do that... but, since you have to alt+tab out of a game anyway to reach your second monitor, it isn't much use to me personally. I can put monitoring things up there, but, I've moved past constantly caring and seeing temps/loads.. etc.

Oh joy. I don't know if it is items going out of stock at the egg, but it seems like every time I look, the price goes up for:
A: 27"
B: IPS
C: 144mhz
D: 2K resolution
E: Small bezel

I'm looking at about $700-800 now. There is still the Pixio, but man does it have a wide bezel. At this point it is almost cheaper to get 3 1080p 27" so-so monitors than 1 decent name brand 2K high refresh monitor.

Don't mind me, I'm just griping.

ya if you want g sync its 7-800 dollars I saw a dell 27 ich 1440p 144hz thin bezel with gysinv yesterday for under 600 but its not ips. You can get the monitor im using right now for 489 at frys mg279q non gsync ips i know acer makes a non gsync for under six benq makes one for under six but besides the pixio and mayeb an AOC somewhere and this asus its hard to find one under five and frys is the only place this asus is under five unless you get refurbished somewhere or used but for the same price you can get a 35" curved ultra wide 1080p 144hz which ive comsidered so many times new egg just had an acer its the predator but not cuz its not g sync but 499 1080p but 35" curved or not i just cant go down in resolution no matter how big and curvy and sexy it is with its clothes off after using this im not going down in resolution

I'm still spinning the idea of getting a cheap 400 dollar Asus 28" 4k as a second monitor to mount right above or next to this one just so I can pretend to be a huge computer networking multitasker that works from home just so I can play some games at 4k and be a spoiled idiot. It's either that or sell this and take the g sync plunge cuz get i get bored every 2 months and act like I'm deprived or something.

Don't mind me I'm just Rambling

Gaming in 4K is just plain pretty.

A 28" 4K will be difficult to read text. I have a 43" 4K display, and at 100% font scaling reading desktop text is almost too small.

I know man I'm so confused. Lol I had 4k for 2 days and took it back because the frame rate wasn't there. I play a lot of shooters bf1 titanfall 2 division these games especially division wasn't cutting it man I like 2k 144hz as a primary you have 2 titans your opinion don't count anyway lol

AOC Agon AG271QX 27” Gaming Monitor, Free Sync, 2560 x 1440 Res, 350 cd/m2,144hz, 1ms,VGA, DVI, DP, HDMI

this one is 499 on amazon thin bezel 100 dollars more than the pixio and much better quality or like i sai the asus mg279q is 489 but if you're ok with a tn panel they're cheaper i had a tn panel for a couple weeks while I waited for this ips panel to restock they aren't bad they have really nice piture too and faster response time. The dell 27 inch Gsync is 569$ for a tn panel 144hz so surely a freesync tn panel would be cheaper.

AOC Agon AG271QX 27” Gaming Monitor, Free Sync, 2560 x 1440 Res, 350 cd/m2,144hz, 1ms,VGA, DVI, DP, HDMI

this one is 499 on amazon thin bezel 100 dollars more than the pixio and much better quality or like i sai the asus mg279q is 489 but if you're ok with a tn panel they're cheaper i had a tn panel for a couple weeks while I waited for this ips panel to restock they aren't bad they have really nice piture too and faster response time. The dell 27 inch Gsync is 569$ for a tn panel 144hz so surely a freesync tn panel would be cheaper.

Just so you know, the AOC for $499 isn't going to be out for another month.

I decided to go with a refurbished ASUS MG279Q that was on sale at newegg for $470 shipped.

no man dont hold up if you're gonna have it shipped order from frys its 489 brand new

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&cat=&query_string=mg279q

- - - Updated - - -

I have one in my location so i dont have to do shipping but i paid 489 new idk what kind of warranty you get for refurbished but it might be worth the extra few bucks to go new idk

- - - Updated - - -

either way tho i'm very happy with it you will be too it's very good price to performance. much better than the benq version and cheaper

I had the 278q then i exchanged for the 279q no dead pixels great picture only thing i wish was that it swiveled but great display tho good choice. IMO probably the best one at this price point.

Sorry, most of the Frys stuff I looked at earlier was in-store pickup. Getting it here by Monday was going to be about $50 more. I've had good luck with refurbished options before, and it does have a return option if it has a problem.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

Edit: I shows shipping from NJ. I missed the 3pm EST shipping window, so it will probably be Monday, but as it is going to my work address, it might be here Saturday.

Back