• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about fans on H115i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eazy1

This may be a silly question, I have a Corsair H115i AIO and I want to replace the default fans with Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM fans because Corsair fans are a joke and they make a terrible rattling noise at higher RPMs. I currently run the stock fans using the pump adaptor (2x 4-pin PWM fan connectors) and I plan to connect Noctua fans using the same adaptor. Now, I suppose there will be no problem with this, since both stock fans and Noctua ones run at 2000 RPM. But what happens for example if I wanted to get 3000 RPM fans? Would I still be able to use H115i pwm connectors for these fans? Would CL work with fans that do not run at 2000 RPMS? Thanks.

My biggest worry would be the power draw more than the speed of the fans. If you go to different fans you may want to look up the power draw on them and try to figure out what the header on the AIO can handle to make sure you are not exceeding that value.

^ What Lochekey said.

Another option, you can run the fans directly off your motherboard through a splitter.

I tried different combinations of fans, and found that I liked the Corsair ML series of fans the best.

Thank you all for the replies. I've read somewhere that the fans included with H115i draw 0.7 amps each (which is a lot imho) and Noctuas only draw 0.18. So I guess I will be ok.

0.7 amps must be on momentary startup or combined. The 0.18 I'm sure is current draw while running, not on startup. Fan specs can be maddening and usually only verified by a real world tester at home with expensive equipment. I remember someone doing tests and found some fans draw 3x current on startup.

For example, MadShrimps had over 100 120mm fans specced out. Skinnee and Martin years ago did tests on how good watercooling stuff was. They both had hundreds of $$ in equipment, both being engineers. It was their hobby. So, always take the factory specs with a grain of salt.

3000 RPM fans totally defeat any watercooling effort. We watercool to keep parts cool at low noise levels. Typically I was running about 700 watts at max testing loads and had two 320 rads with fans at 900 rpm. Maybe look at 38mm thick fans made for high static pressure, and run them at a more human RPM/noise level.

Back