• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Folks post up their 4K rigs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Looking to replace an ancient 1080P Dell monitor circa 2004-05 or so. I got used to gaming on a Vizio 65" 120Hz TV, but a life changing event( My wife had a bad stroke last year). I need to be at a desk again...I don't have many things I can fit in for fun anymore, but gaming is one where I can be close to her. (When we are not watching tv,eating or doing therapy) Plan on using a new 4K Roku for Media.

Anyway I thought I would find a good 32" 4K easily, but to find one with Gsync let alone a refresh rate higher than 60HZ is proving to be non trivial.

The price is secondary and the GPU gets replaced every other year, so thats not a factor(2 year old 970 GTX currently).

Would Folks with 4K let us know whats working for them?

Need DP, and HDMI 2.0...Looking hard at a Wasabi Mango 40"

Last edited:
Not many folks running 4K...
Yeah after researching for a week , the new 4K's that will be out in 2017 will be 144HZ(Acer,Asus) but they may not be out till summer and the prices may be above $1200. Also at 27" they just won't curt it. I am going for a cheap TN 4K that I'll run at 1440 or 1080 for games. By the time 32' 4K's@144HZ are affordable the GPU's will have caught up....Looks like 2018.

I gamed for the last few years at 1080 on a 65" Vizio and it was much better at 8 to 10' than my current 1080P 24" 2004 Dell monitor...So even a a cheap TN panel will look much better at 27" than what I have.
https://www.amazon.com/28-inch-Free...isplayPort/dp/B01BYU0GVC/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

You can play a lot of titles on high/ultra without AA on a 1080/1070. I played BF4, Battlefront, and Doom that way. Averaged close to 60 fps there too. Obviously, some titles that isn't possible, but with the increased pixel density, you can easily use no AA.

But yeah, gsyn/freesync ips >60hz wasn't out until now/soon and that's going to cost a ton.. $1500 for the Asus model.

So in conclusion I ended up with the Asus 28" MG28UQ....4K(Newegg)

In coming from an old 24" 60Hz Dell around 2004 or so, this Asus color, is better out of the box. The desktop looks very good compared to the Dell. I see no back bleed and viewing angles are great. It defaulted to 150% scaling, which looks good(and my eyes suck)What ever shortcomings TN panels have. This panel most be one of the best.

I jumped into Farcry 4 and it looks much better at 1080 1440 and 4K. I didn't get a chance to spend more than a half hour boating and flying around. Medium is totally playable for me.High is even workable , I need to check the FPS.... It also looks better than 1080 on Ultra. The gun in your hand is glorious looking. Going to calibrate from a review on Toms hardware that listed settings for it. (Running on a GTX 970)

I'm glad I took the chance and went with this 60Hz and 4K monitor rather than 1440@144Hz with Gsync. Never having used a 144hz monitor I do not know what I'm missing. Thats typically the case with a lot of things. It was best described on a podcast I listened to "You don't know what makes it better till you see it, than you can't go back" Referring to higher refresh rates.

I also thought not being at least at 32" for 4K would be an issue , for me 28" looks good. no regrets. web pages are totally viewable and the clarity of text is as advertised.

I read so many negative reviews on all the issues of 4K ...FPS, scaling, refresh rate, TN panels, viewing angles, etc. I really did think I would be sending this back...Not the case. It looks dramatically better than an old Dell. If the next Monitor blows this away(4K@144Hz@32")....I'll have no problem spending the money on it.:thup:

Last edited:
Back