• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replaced HDD, detected as old one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vinc212

I recently replaced my HDD with Western Digital's BLUE 1tb WD10EZEX (old one being a Hitachi). I migrated the old drive to the new one just fine, but the new drive is only detecting 465GB -- the exact size of my old drive. Doing " wmic logicaldisk " in CMD responds with a bunch of FAILURE and other gibberish (and detects my CD drive just fine). I also triple checked the label on the new HDD, so I'm not mistaken with my purchase.

When migrating, I created a system image of my old HDD onto an external drive. Using a Windows 7 System Repair Disk, I restored the system image on the new HDD.

The computer is detecting the HDD properly, so I'm not sure how to fix this after some basic googling. I suspect it's an issue with drivers, but I'm not certain as I've never messed with storage drivers before.

Last edited:
Please list your hardware... motherboard specifically.

Sounds like your image, and the way you did it is the culprit...not drivers. What does computer management show about the drive? Please post a screenshot.

go into disk management and expand the partition. when you clone a smaller disk to a bigger one it copies the partition table and keeps it the same size you have to manually expand it to take up the rest of the new drive. (same reason you cant clone to a smaller drive as easily.)

Last edited:
go into disk management and expand the partition. when you clone a smaller disk to a bigger one it copies the partition table and keeps it the same size you have to manually expand it to take up the rest of the new drive. (same reason you can clone to a smaller drive as easily.)
Exactly what I was getting at and why I wanted to see a screenshot of the computer management/disk management screen. :)

For the gibberish, I would change the SATA cable...
For the gibberish? What does that mean? I know what gibberish means, but, doesn't fit here?

go into disk management and expand the partition. when you clone a smaller disk to a bigger one it copies the partition table and keeps it the same size you have to manually expand it to take up the rest of the new drive. (same reason you can clone to a smaller drive as easily.)

This. Shoud be very easy.

Sorry for the length of time between my opening post and next post. I needed to get some sleep so I posted the thread beforehand. I really appreciate everyone's help, thank you!

go into disk management and expand the partition. when you clone a smaller disk to a bigger one it copies the partition table and keeps it the same size you have to manually expand it to take up the rest of the new drive. (same reason you cant clone to a smaller drive as easily.)

This worked! Glad that it turned out to be a simple problem. All I was finding earlier was about my drive not being detected (and so refusing to boot), which wasn't the problem.

Please list your hardware... motherboard specifically.

Sounds like your image, and the way you did it is the culprit...not drivers. What does computer management show about the drive? Please post a screenshot.

I knew I was forgetting something. My apologies. I shouldn't be writing these dead tired. I'm using

Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3. Here's a screenshot of my sysinfo.
My graphics card is AMD Radeon R9 270X.
My CPU is the Intel i5-2500k (~3.6 GHz). Lists 3.3 on the sysinfo, 3.6 on dxdiag. I plan on replacing my CPU for my next upgrade.

For the gibberish, I would change the SATA cable...

I did use the old SATA cable on my new HDD. Looking at it again, it looks like a misaligned table.

Back