• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talk me out of buying the GA-H97-D3H. 1150 vs 1151

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
So I had a pretty good Ebay bid on the GA-H97-D3H (a few times actually...) but for some odd reason it just never works out. Either I'm outbid, or the buyer spontaneously combusts, or something else weird happens. This leads me to believe that some things simply aren't meant to be. (I'm a fatalist.)

Maybe I should be thinking 1151. Maybe it would be stupid for me to get an 1150 now. (Even though I can get one for 60 bucks.)

Is there some compelling reason I should get an 1151 or any ideas about a better 1150 for me?

If you can get a good deal, there is nothing wrong with the 1150 boards.

Why are you looking at an 'H' board though. Limiting features and no overclocking.

You see! This is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know! Thanks! (Now I'm glad I didn't get it... some things are just not right.)

So which board should I get instead of an H? What's good for overclocking?

compared to a 4790K on a Z97 board, skylake is 1-5% better, I stayed with my 4790K rigs and am happy about that.
If I were buying now I would go with a skylake build if a 4790K build was not going to save me a good bit of coin.

Z97 Chipset is what you want in that gen of board.

What processor are you putting in this?

compared to a 4790K on a Z97 board, skylake is 1-5% better, I stayed with my 4790K rigs and am happy about that.
If I were buying now I would go with a skylake build if a 4790K build was not going to save me a good bit of coin.

Cool! I was thinking of getting either the 4570 or the 4690 processor since I know I can get a good deal on those two. I already have a GTX 960 on the way (4GB version) that I only paid like 118 bucks for. So I'm hoping to pick up the processor for like 140-150 and the motherboard for 50. Then I'll be sitting at 318 for the whole setup (I have some DDR3 that I got YEARS ago just for a rainy day... If it still works after all the moving I've done in the past 5 years I'm golden.) And I managed to put together a Corsair power supply as well. (Everything in my sig was stolen in Barcelona.)

So okay. What do you guys think of those two processors and which Z97 board do you recommend?

I think I'm leaning towards these two boards. What do you think? Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H

Cancel the 960 and get a 1050 ti, you won't be sorry! The best sub-$200 GPU right now.

If you're buying new you might as well go Skylake or Kaby Lake for the sake of new features. If you're okay with buying used then go for Haswell, the performance difference is marginal as has been stated, and the money saved makes it even better. Heck, you could even go for socket 1155 and Ivy Bridge and not miss out on much.

If you are getting a processor without a K on the end then by all means feel free to save some money and get a used H chipset motherboard. But if you plan to overclock you will need a K series processor and a Z chipset motherboard. Haswell and z97 are still a very good Cpu/chipset. But only if you are getting it significantly cheaper than an 1151 socket chip would I do it.

Last edited:
If you are getting a processor without a K on the end then by all means feel free to save some money and get a used H chipset motherboard. But if you plan to overclock you will need a K series processor and a Z chipset motherboard. Haswell and z97 are still a very good Cpu/chipset. But only if you are getting it significantly cheaper than an 1151 socket chip would I do it.

Yeah. I ended up getting this motherboard (scroll down) for 45 bucks http://www.ebay.de/itm/Gigabyte-Mai...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's kind of Gigabyte's top of the line for Z97. It's missing the heat sinks, but I'll just get better heatsinks with little fans on top. (replacing them all probably won't cost me more than 10 bucks.)

It's going to be an extremely cheap build. RAM was like 5 bucks for 4 gigs (I'll get more later), 118 for the GPU. 45 for the motherboard. I've got a budget between 100-150 for the CPU. I plan to be up and running by next week. All told it'll be under 400 bucks for everything. Even if I don't get a K processor now having the Z97 motherboard means I can plop one in later and not have to upgrade the CPU *and* the board.

Just hope the damned motherboard works! :D

Now all I need in that K processor and I'm in business!

I am sure the motherboard will work. I wouldn't use it without properly cooling the vrm, and chipset. Tho I am not certain of how motherboard specific it is, I have read at some point about someone getting an error that the chipset heatsink was detached or something so I hope it works for you. Im sure it would once you replaced them.

I am sure the motherboard will work. I wouldn't use it without properly cooling the vrm, and chipset. Tho I am not certain of how motherboard specific it is, I have read at some point about someone getting an error that the chipset heatsink was detached or something so I hope it works for you. Im sure it would once you replaced them.

Don't know how the motherboard could tell the chipset heatsink was detached... but I'll have no trouble replacing them. The VRM is more of a puzzle though... Perhaps I can salvage something from my old laptop board. Artic silver works on chipsets right?

I would imagine yes. Thermal paste, or pads and something to dissipate the heat. Idk how either tbh maybe it was because the temp shot up so high so fast that it was able to tell. Not sure myself. If it does work I definitely would not dare to overclock without some sort of heatsinks.

Don't know how the motherboard could tell the chipset heatsink was detached... but I'll have no trouble replacing them. The VRM is more of a puzzle though... Perhaps I can salvage something from my old laptop board. Artic silver works on chipsets right?

You want something like this...

hs.jpg

You should be able to find them locally. They come with adhesive tape already one them.

I would imagine yes. Thermal paste, or pads and something to dissipate the heat. Idk how either tbh maybe it was because the temp shot up so high so fast that it was able to tell. Not sure myself. If it does work I definitely would not dare to overclock without some sort of heatsinks.

I'll get a BAG of 'em from somewhere. ;)

I'm sure it will work, too. Previous owner probably just watercooled the whole board or something. Crazy thing is I just saw a Z97x Gamer 3 go for 40 bucks (with all original hardware)! Oh well... My board will be (slightly) better once I get those heatsinks on it. I intend to get something with fans...

Back