• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new card, what should I upgrade to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desync

I currently run 2x XFX 7850s in my comp and built my gf a desktop to get rid of her laptop and ended up going with a AMD 6300 for her. Now I need a video card for her machine or give her my 2x 7850s and just upgrade mine, but looking to go cheap as possible for the upgrade. She doesn't really do any gaming other than FB games and cuts vinyl on her Cricut vinyl machine, I know I should of went Intel and got an I3 with integrated graphics but already got all the parts in and don't really feel like trying to exchange everything.

So was wondering if I should just grab her a cheap R7 240, or give her both mine and find a cheap upgrade for me. What would be best option?

The R7 240 is a solid card for under $50. I played War Thunder on one with no issues. Some settings had to be tweaked, but it didn't look like Minecraft. You aren't going to upgrade two 7850s for under $50.

240 would be more than enough for her computer. There's be literally no reason to put two 7850s in her machine, it would just make more heat and draw more power than needed.

Appreciate the replies, found 2x 9800GTs for $50 but the guy already sold them, found a 240 for $30, might try and get the 240.

I would do that, but give her one 7850, then I would have to take the time to try and find a buyer for the other 7850 then I'd be out of play until I could save up the money to go along with the 7850 I sold to buy me a new card. Just picked her up the 240 for now.

I would do that, but give her one 7850, then I would have to take the time to try and find a buyer for the other 7850 then I'd be out of play until I could save up the money to go along with the 7850 I sold to buy me a new card. Just picked her up the 240 for now.

Easiest way out and least life-altering experience. ;)

Giving your gf one of the 7850s and selling the other would be good if you could simply front the cash, get a 480, then put up a slow sale without Buy Now. If not, spending $30 to get rid of the problem sounds ideal.

Back