• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two GTX 960s SLI (4GB) vs One GTX 1060 (6GB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Just picked up a Gigabyte GV-N960WF2OC-4GD GTX 960 card and I'm about to grab a GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard. I was wondering if SLI'ing two 960s would give me better performance than one 1060 card? I mean I was able to get the 960 *dirt* cheap (118 bucks) and I know I can get another one around the same price, that will still put me under the price of a 1060. I'm wondering if the performance will also be better (or worse, or about the same.)

I don't do much PC Gaming anymore. I'll mainly be doing a lot of Color Grading in DaVinci Resolve and some high level After Effects stuff.

Anyway... Let me know!

Gaming better off with the 1060, SLI you are relying on the game being supported

Also the 1060 is about 25% faster in Heaven than 960SLI

The other stuff I cannot speak to, but thinking a newer card would be better for that as well

Well, there's the upfront expense, and there's power bill and resale potential. I think overall a single newer card will be better than two older ones except in older games with good SLI support. Since 1060 doesn't have SLI and you probably already have a strong enough PSU to go multi, perhaps consider RX 480?

go with the 1060, dont look back... when i get the chance im going to a 1060, going with the 6gb card has more cuda cores vs the 3gb one. which to me makes no sense, since they have the same name, would figure the high core count being a Ti. any way since you dont do much gaming, going with the 1060 will use less power vs the 960 and have a nice performance bump. my plan is the 6gb card, my issue is i dont like the realtime gpu speed change, even if i had to lower it i want the core to be running at X speed not X speed for 2secs then something else .

I have 970's in sli, and a 1060 6 gig card, get the 1060 and like he^^^^^^ said, don't look back.
I have, 970's sli, 980ti sli and 760 sli, I don't mind the issues of loud cards, sli not supported or poorly supported, heat from the rig and micro stutters that comes along with multi card but, when I want to just relax and enjoy, I pull one card.
right now I kind of see sli being a thing of the past, except for the very top end, multi, high res monitor people, a single 1060/1070/1080 will do the job for most of us, multi card is just bling for the rest of us.

Thanks guys! I'll probably use my single 960 until I make enough money with it to get the 1060. Then I'll sell it (probably for the same price I paid for it) and get the 1060. I'm on an EXTREMELY tight build budget which so far has worked for me. I had a budget of about 300 bucks. And I was able to get the 960 for around 100, and I plan on spending 50 for a motherboard and 150 for a CPU (you'd be AMAZED at how cheaply you can get these things...)

Probably something like 4670k, GTX 960, GA-Z97x-UD3H all for 300 bucks. That plus a good SSD and I should be able to do laps around my i7 macbook pro. :)

I have a 4670 and a 950gtx I am able to play all my games at med/high settings just fine
Csgo
Bf1
Hitman Absolution
Metro last light redux
Bf4
Crysis 3

Back