• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H55: up to the job?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jackb

Hello All

I need some help please to check if the Corsair H55 is adequate for the cooling needs of the CPU or if I have an other underlying issue.

Mys systeme is:

Coolmaster K350 case
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX 8370 std 4000 Mhz overclocked to 4300Mhz
16Gb Ram
3 HD
Garphic card AMD Radeon R9 380
CPU cooler Corsair H55
1 fan 120 fan extracting air (Shark 120)
1 fan pushing air Corsair ML120

The main issue I am having is when gaming ( Procject Cars mainly) the computer will crash.
On reboot there is a message stating CPU temperature 86C. On entering the BIOS, it confirms the high temperature.

I have change to fan of the CPU cooler to a Corsair ML120 which reduce the CPU temperature and now they are at idle:

CPU 45C Celsius
MB 27C Celsius
Vcore1 56C Celsius
Vcore2 55C Celsius
Hard drives 30C Celsius
Graphic Card 43C Celsius

The temperature of the CPU and MB was check in BIOS and with CPUDI HWmonitor.

To keep the temperature at this level the CPU cooler and case need to work between 55 and 80% of there potential which make the entire computer to noisy for a home office setup.

Is the H55 adequate for the cooling of my system or should I be looking at something else?

What would you recommend to reduce the CPU and internal case temperature and reduce the noise?

thanks you for your help

Jack

Welcome to the Forums Jack!

The FX8xxx Series CPUs are know heaters even at stock. The H55 should be adequate for stock speeds but adding an overclock could be too much for it. Obviously 86c is way, way too high. Can you save your OC profile and reset to stock speeds and check your temps under load to give us a baseline temp at stock. We generally don't worry much about idle temps for a few reasons but mainly because the sensors really aren't very accurate at idle.

What voltage do you have set for the CPU? Also is your motherboard the GEN 3 variant of the Sabertooth?

Hello

thank you!

86C is way too much, which prompted some "searching cooling" question.
The first mod i made was to change the OEM fan to the Corsair ML120 which help but made the computer nosier.
What would be the effect of having 2 OEM fans ( they are quiet), one psuhing the other pulling the ait through the radiator? Would that increase the airflow?

Does it matter on which fan output the pump is connected too? Currently is on FAN 2

The PC is about a year old. The MB is a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Rev 1

I have reset the OC via BIOS to standard and after the OC via BIOS the CPU temps is up to 40 degrees whiles doing some office work.

I didn't change the voltage as I don't know the consequences of changing it.

This is a link to the HWmonitor when doing some office work
https://mega.nz/#!Yh1ywbwR!P1Ebo-l9XjKSI9QgjkJ56nuu5V5V8f_H4CFH1WW3Tlo
and below the configuration.
https://mega.nz/#!8xdnwLwZ!T5WANP6LTfSHqGdFjXlCpIkn2EKCrWCZc8Z1p9QURqY.

I am trying to make the computer quieter and run cooler, if that is possible?

Cheers

Jack

Hello

thank you!

86C is way too much, which prompted some "searching cooling" question.
The first mod i made was to change the OEM fan to the Corsair ML120 which help but made the computer nosier.
What would be the effect of having 2 OEM fans ( they are quiet), one psuhing the other pulling the ait through the radiator? Would that increase the airflow? Adding a second fan in push/pull configuration will help lower your temps by a few degrees, maybe 3-4c but will also create more noise. Assuming the H55 ships with the SP120 fans you'll probably get similar results between the 2 different fans. Besides the bearing deference the other main difference between these fans is that the ML appear to be PWM. This is helpful if you were going to slow the fans down, but with your temps I'm sure they are running full out.

Does it matter on which fan output the pump is connected too? Currently is on FAN 2 No. This won't change anything. If it's spinning at max speed than that's all it can do. Other headers may allow better speed control but they will all provide the 12v needed to achieve max speed.

The PC is about a year old. The MB is a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Rev 1 That's good. There were issues with the GEN 3 versions and ASUS recalled them (or at least pulled them from the shelves).

I have reset the OC via BIOS to standard and after the OC via BIOS the CPU temps is up to 40 degrees whiles doing some office work. Office work like PowerPoint, Excel, and basic web surfing wont even scratch the surface of what that monster CPU can do. I'd be surprised if you were hitting 10% on a single core. When you get a chance run a stress program like Prime95(free) or Intel Burn Test(free) to stress out the CPU. If/when you reach 61c on the core(package) or 55c on the VRM (socket) then stop the test. If you're reaching these temps at stock clocks either you have a bad cooler mount, bad TIM application, or the H55 just isn't up to the task (not likely).

I didn't change the voltage as I don't know the consequences of changing it. That's OK but could also be the reason for instability but most likely it's still the temps.

This is a link to the HWmonitor when doing some office work
https://mega.nz/#!Yh1ywbwR!P1Ebo-l9XjKSI9QgjkJ56nuu5V5V8f_H4CFH1WW3Tlo
and below the configuration.
https://mega.nz/#!8xdnwLwZ!T5WANP6LTfSHqGdFjXlCpIkn2EKCrWCZc8Z1p9QURqY.
Can you please host images locally? I'm at work and don't have access to many sites. You can do this by clicking either the paperclip (Attachment) at the top or the picture icon (Insert Image).

I am trying to make the computer quieter and run cooler, if that is possible? There are certainly quieter fans and better coolers on the market so yes it's possible. It just might have a cost associated with it.

Cheers

Jack

Hope this helps

Hello Again

Yes I agree, using office stuff only use 1% of all the cores, this is why I don't understand the temperature issue.

My previous compter Asus and AMD based when doing office work the temperature was around 40 degrees, going up when gaming. I have always made sure my PC are running as cold as possible

I'v tried to upload the two files

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

There is only one Corsair ML120 PWM connected. The other three fan are 3 pins. This is why they don't show
Having 2 Corsair ML120 PWM was too noisy, the noise level is still 45dB which is still too much.

Can you see something obvious?

I've downloaded Prime 95, it seems I need to read how it works...

With regards to coolers and fans, what would you use?

Jack

Attachments

• HWMonitor.txt
    17.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DESKTOP-3DTF061.txt
    117.9 KB · Views: 42
This screen shot is after 5min of playing Project Cars

The tempearture was still rising

Untitled-1.jpg

Jack

So where you want to be is below 61c CPU temperature and 55c package temperature.

So the CPU temeparture is too close for confort and the package temperature is OK.

The CPU temp is the socket temp and the package is the core temp? Correct?

Do i need to increase the cooling of the CPU?

Jack

So the CPU temeparture is too close for confort and the package temperature is OK.

The CPU temp is the socket temp and the package is the core temp? Correct?

Do i need to increase the cooling of the CPU?

Jack

Yes, you do. Even a good after market air cooler would help. The trouble is that your case is too skinny to allow for installation of a good tower style air cooler. The good ones are all about 160 mm tall and you really need a case of around 204 mm wide to provide clearance to the side panel. Your case will accept an air cooler whose maximum height is 148.5mm. I got that from Coolermaster's website. Would a Corsair H80 v.2 water cooler radiator fit in that case? Even so, it would still be inadequate for overclocking of that CPU.

And your high socket temp begs for better air flow across the VRM socket area. Look at putting a spot fan to blow on the area. Extra case fans installed could help that too. Unfortunately, water cooling tends to leave an air circulation dead spot around the socket. If it were me, I'd be looking at a roomier case period.

Last edited:
Hello All

I moved a fan Corsair ML120 pushing air from the top down and an extracting fan on the side.
The temp for Vcore 1-2 during office work has stabilised at around 44-45 degrees.
Which is half a victory.

I need to check the if the H80 V2 fits.

Thanks again

Jack

Sorry for the delay. I was fortunate enough to spend yesterday evening in the hospital visiting. Anyhow, I agree completely with Trents.

If this were my build and I was looking to Overclock I would get a decent inexpensive case and a high end AIO cooler like the Swiftech H220x, Corsair h100i gtx. Either of these coolers could get you to 4.3Ghz assuming your CPU is capable of stabilizing there. You'll still need good case air flow but a newer slightly larger case should provide that.

I hope you are ok! or the person you have been visiting is OK

So basically I need to undo the overclocking or change case.
The CPU is stable at 4.3 no issue there

Well lest re-start the PC and undo it

Will report later

Jack

Father-in-law had a knee replacement. All good. :)

Unfortunately yes. The cooler and lack of air flow is just too much it seems.

Assuming this is a gaming rig have you noticed a frame rate difference between 4.0Ghz and 4.3Ghz?

Great, Knees are usefull :)

As an experiment I have set the CPU back to 4 and there was no difference in the CPU temp or Vcor temp.

The CPU temp is now 40C and Vcore 1 & 2 43C.

I didn't check the frame rate.

I'm thinking of making a second hole in the window of the case to fit a 120 fan more or less by the CPU to move more air,. The windows would have 2 120 fan pushing air in and the top would have a 120 fan extracting the hot air
An other idea is if it possible to move the graphic card down to PCI2 slots, to spread the heat creating further apart.
Can the graphic card be moved to the second slot with no issues?

Jack

- - - Updated - - -

It's a bit gaming and (unfortunately) work a lot :(
Some image processing as well

Jack

According to your manual all 3 slots are PCIe x16 when run single channel so as long as you only have a single GPU installed any of the 3 will provide the same performance...theoretically.

Be careful with adding side fans. The flow should be from front down low to back top and rear. Side fans can interrupt that. You would just need to experiment to see what works.

Hello All

Thank for all your help.

I have kind of manage to reduced the overheating issue.

I have now 3 fan working as inlet and 1 fan at the top doing the extraction, and I have open some vent at the back of the case.

The cooler is still the H55, however I have fitted 2 Corsair ML120 and they are working to pull air out of the case through the radiator.

The temperatures are now much better when doing office work:
CPU: 36 degree C
Vcore 1&2: 41 degree C

The CPU frequency is set at 4335Mhz (CPU 4000 Mhz)

The MB temperature is 25 degrees C which is only 4 degrees more than the room temperature.

To keep those temperatures the fans are working at less then 50% of capacity and more importantly its as close to silent it is possible. The tick-tack of the office clock is noisier! So on that side it is a victory.
However at full speed it is very noisy, too noisy for an office environment the same tick-tack cannot be heard.
I havent tested the PC at full load yet, to check what if the tempearture are doing.

The next step, when cash flow allow, is to change the case for a bigger full size one. Which one would you recommend which would allow good air flow and which is quiet?

Cheers

Jack

I have the Phanteks Luxe and love it. Air flow is great the fans that come with it are nearly silent at full speed and there is a ton of room for water cooling. It's a little larger than What I'm used to. I've always bought mid towers but I wanted a full tower for my custom loop this time around. There are a ton of other great cases available. Check out the link in my sig. I would say so long a you stick with brands like Phanteks, Corsair, NZXT, Fractal Designs and a few others you'll be satisfied.

Also I'm glad you have your temps worked out at near idle. Hopefully they wont climb much while under load.

Back