• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New M.2 problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

I have a Rampage V. I just installed a new Samsung 960 EVO m.2 I installed windows 10 with no problem. Here is problems. CrystalDisk does not see it, Samsung Magician just shows space on it but no options to update firmware or health. Defraggler shows it as a hdd. I am running latest bios.
I would guess it is a setting in bios. I installed latest chipset driver.

Not saying that it's not an issue, but windows and such see it just not standalone apps? Like normal windows explorer and disk management find it?

I would ask ASUS if they have any update as this board still gets updates from time to time and they don't have anything better on X99 anyway ( also RVE 10 but I guess they are using the same updates ). Samsung 960 is new series and I saw that some boards get BIOS update for this drive.
I had no issues with some other M.2 SSD on RVE but I don't have any Samsung.

I would ask ASUS if they have any update as this board still gets updates from time to time and they don't have anything better on X99 anyway ( also RVE 10 but I guess they are using the same updates ). Samsung 960 is new series and I saw that some boards get BIOS update for this drive.
I had no issues with some other M.2 SSD on RVE but I don't have any Samsung.

Do I need to change any settings in bios for this ssd?

I thought that for Samsung are additional drivers but I don't know if they're required. For my SSD are no additional drivers and they work on standard MS driver. I don't think I ever needed to set anything in BIOS. Right now my brother has RVE and he doesn't have M.2 SSD.

I just installed the latest Samsung driver 2.1 and same thing. CrystalDisk does not see it. When I go into device manager
and select ssd and go into properties to check driver version it still shows microsoft driver from 2006.

Now the controller shows the new Samsung driver, but the M.2 shows Microsoft driver.

So... it works just fine, boots, etc... just other apps aren't seeing it in windows?

And you have 3501 bios, right?

I don't think it's a setting in the bios...

is it crystaldiskmark that wont work or is it crystaldiskinfo. if the latter- only version 6.8 and newer will see an nvme drive.

is it crystaldiskmark that wont work or is it crystaldiskinfo. if the latter- only version 6.8 and newer will see an nvme drive.

That got it working, stiil no SSDLife and Defraggler still shows hdd not ssd options. I downloaded latest of both.

Install and run the trial version of HD Sentinel so you can see what results that gives, if it shows Trim as enabled but not active, you probably need to change the SATA driver (though the default MS driver usually works fine but some say it might be slower than the 'correct' drivers).

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

I do not see anything about trim.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 1,360
I've no experience with M.2s but that seems to indicate that it's not being detected as an SSD. HDS version history shows that M.2/NVME was added a year ago (950 NVMe Pro M.2 SSD: detection of complete status including power on time, temperature, read/write statistics, wearout, etc.), using the Samsung NVMe SSD driver on this page: http://www.hdsentinel.com/driverzone.php (driver version 1.1).

Perhaps it cannot detect TRIM, the other stats in your image look like the SMART detection is working as expected. Percentage used (no SMART # shown) is used as the wearout/health indicator there.

I don't know what else to suggest, it looks like everything but TRIM is being detected.

Can you take a screenshot of what the Samsung Magician shows just for reference?

I don't know how similar the Rampage V is to the rest of the ASUS line, but I remember when I got my 950 I had to change the SATA mode config to M.2 before it recognized it. Ever since then it appears the setting defaults back to SATA Express, but the M.2 drive functions on the PCIE lanes.

170120161923.jpg

There's a lot of awesome SSD tools in this thread, just sayin.

Back