• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get home IP security camera to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cinque8

Hello,

I have a Sricam wireless indoor IP camera that I have been trying to get up and running, but have not been able to do so. The instructions that come with the camera are fairly simple: attach the camera to your router via an ethernet cable to set up your wifi connection. Then the software that comes with the camera called Device Viewer should be able to detect the camera and you are all set. Or use a cell phone app called Sricam to scan the camera’s QR code. Neither method works.

I am told that the camera comes with a fixed IP address. The cell phone fails to scan the QR code, and Device Viewer doesn’t detect the camera. I run Windows 7 on my laptop. I attach my cell phone to my laptop via a USB cable for my Internet connection. I have been told that the camera and my laptop have to be in the same subnet for the camera to be recognized. And that I would need to change my laptop IP address to the address on the camera, but I have no idea what the camera IP address is. Anyone who can help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
sri.png

Try power cycling your router and modem (shut them off for a minute and then turn them back on) then check in the router settings to see if your camera is listed with all your other devices. If it still isn't working shut off your firewall on your computer, then check again. If it still doesn't work then shut off your firewall on your router, and check again (remember to turn your firewalls back on when you are done). Let us know what happens after you do that stuff and maybe we can help a little more (I'm not much of a network guy either :) )

I have been told that the camera and my laptop have to be in the same subnet for the camera to be recognized. And that I would need to change my laptop IP address to the address on the camera, but I have no idea what the camera IP address is. Anyone who can help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking this is the path to head down. The camera maker would need to provide the IP address somewhere on the camera (sticker) or in the instructions. Then you program your laptop to a similar (but not exactly the ame) address. Once your laptop and camera are on the same network, then their configuration software should work.

The most common IP addresses are in the 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x address ranges. You could connect the laptop to the camera and set the laptop IP to 192.168.0.144 (random from 1-254) and subnet to 255.255.255.0 and see if it works. Then try 192.168.1.144 . If neither work, then it could be any number of other possible addresses, too many to even start guessing.

According to these instructions you should be able to try Method 1 with the phone app (it has you manually enter the camera ID instead of scanning it from the QR code):

http://download.sricam.com/Manual/AP-Series-User-Manual.pdf

Back