• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Raid, something faster than esata?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scoobertdoo

Hi, I love to take pictures and work with several rescues to give animals a better chance at adoption. I have a full frame camera and generally have 15-20 gigs of pictures I am moving around from the camera, into the raid and back and forth from the drive to lightroom and back to the drive. Which is a external dual drive set to raid 1 with a pair of WD red 4 tb's.

I tried usb 3.0 since the raid device has both esata and USB 3.0 and esata was MUCH faster. I think a big part of that being that I have so many things hooked to my USB ports. Since I am about to upgrade my computer (hopefully to a ryzen) I was going to try and find something to replace my esata since its almost impossible to find a board that supports it and was hoping to get away from the pcie x1 esata adapter. But I could reuse it in the new machine if I needed to.

So essentially is there anything direct connect out that would match the speeds of the 6gb esata, or should I stick with it in the new build?

Thanks

Internal and external SATA are the same thing, except for the connector. You won't find anything faster than eSATA or USB3 without spending a good chunk of money (external enclosures with SAS). If your new board does not have eSATA, simply get a converter, which should cost about $5.

Back