• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Suggestions on Powerline's? running 240down/25up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gymrat

Registered
anyone have suggestions on Powerlines for Xbox gaming. Or video streaming? Rest of home is MOCA, no coax near Xbox, and wifi signal isn't enough. Thanks.

Might work. Really depends on how your house is wired. Worth a shot since a set of powerlines is usually only around $20

Let me see if I understood correctly what you said in your first post. Here's what I think you said: You are currently connecting your xbox to the internet via wifi and getting 240 mbps downlink and 25 mbps uplink. If these numbers do indeed refer to megabits per second then that is blazing fast and I don't understand why it is inadequate.

I believe what hes saying is that his internet speed is 250/25, but the wifi signal to the xbox is bad, and wanted to know if powerline adapters would be suitable with that internet speed. Its been a long time since I used powerline adapters, but last I looked at them they top out at around 100Mb which should still be plenty fast enough for the xbox. The real variable though is whether the wiring in the house will support a solid connection.

I've tried several different powerline adapters in my house and was not impressed. But it's been a few years since I did that. Maybe they have improved the technology on those things since then. But you are right. It is very dependent on the length of the household circuitry they are plugged into. In a small house with well laid out wiring they probably would work well. Otherwise there is a lot of packet drop and it becomes slow and unstable.

Another option would be to move the router to a more central location in the house. That's what I wound up doing and it made a huge difference. It involved running some ethernet cable under the house and drilling a couple of holes in the floor but it was an effective solution.

Hey trents, forgot to mention that those are the speeds downstairs. The wireless signal upstairs even with a MOCA and AP point in a room upstairs with coax, the signal is still weak reaching the xbox1, speeds at the xbox are less than <40Mbps.

Willing to try them, wanted to know the make/models that you all have used., thanks.

Since you have multiple hardwired locations to pick from you want to hook up the source powerline adapter the the location closest to your electrical panel as this SHOULD create the shortest run between the two devices..

Since you have multiple hardwired locations to pick from you want to hook up the source powerline adapter the the location closest to your electrical panel as this SHOULD create the shortest run between the two devices..

Good tip, thanks.

Update: bought Tp-Links AV2000's and ran a speed test. Came back at 172Mbps, not bad for power line's.

Back