• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Secondary video card hotter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

181jenkins

Registered
ok guys im now lost iv spent around 2 days trying to sort this!, the problem is my 2nd card (gpu1) is getting stupid hot. i have no clue whats going on.. even though it says Gpu1 its the bottem card that is hot, in a furmark test the top card (gpu1) is around 54C and the bottom card is at 75C, now i have a new mb,ram,case iv took the block off and re done the tim, and still the same problem... they are gtx 980's same water block in my old setup with same rads etc it was 1 or 2 c hotter like how it should be, the fans on the rads are on Full for testing. im just lost what to do...

Can you post pictures of your watercooling loop and detail all the exact components used please?

sure, when the site is up ill get a list of my components used,

I7 6700k
Fury Black 8gb Ram
Zotac amp! gtx980 x2

All are EK parts i know that but will update asap
EK Water Blocks EK-FC980 GTX - Nickel (Original CSQ) x2
OcUK Tech Labs - V12 Watercooling Kit 360 With D5 Pump/res
MagiCool Copper Radiator II PRO - 240 mm
and i want to say : RX360 V3 Triple Fan Radiator

pic: hIllKSc.jpg

ATM it goes RES > RAD >RAD> CPU> GPU> GPU> RES

That has never effected how it runs before

And you are getting that flow? In looking at the res in tbe pic, that waterline is perfectly flat...

iv not dissembled it at all, only to replace the Tim, and as for flow i managed to spray my self in the eye via the Drainage port so yes im guessing i am lol

is that a parallel or serial block on the gpus? The card that is getting hot might have a blockage in it, spraying yourself doesn't mean flow, it means there is pressure in the system, pressure can be indicative of a blocked block. I guess I should say abnormal pressure.

is that a parallel or serial block on the gpus? The card that is getting hot might have a blockage in it, spraying yourself doesn't mean flow, it means there is pressure in the system, pressure can be indicative of a blocked block. I guess I should say abnormal pressure.

Yup I concur. Best to take it all apart and see.

ok Brill thanks for your help. ill take it apart at the weekend and get back to you all :)

Let me ask, which direction is the flow heading? Is the 2nd (bottom) GPU the first from the pump? If so, could be blockage.

Hope you cleaned all your gear and especially the rads prior to installation.

its going down to cpu then Gpu, iv took both blocks apart and cleaned. they weren't that bad.. re done my loop as now it goes res/pump > rad > cpu> gpu1> gpu2 rad > res/pump.. still the same results.. could it be a dead gpu?

i have no clue what could be wrong then :/ and i ment could it now be faulty...???

Doubtful.. they don't get hotter like that... at least that i have seen. maybe its just a bad mount (yes, aware you mounted again).

just did another Stress test one hit 66c max and the other 94c but Felt around the same temp to touch....

Edit: top of the card and thw block itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked again.. i felt the Side of the Waterblock as in the nickle part and that was Stupid hot... still lost.

Can you post links to the exact radiators you have? Are they hot to the touch too?
What fans are on them? What direction is the air moving through each?

First response was useless.
Second was probably as useless as the first.

Hopefully third edit is the charm...

I noticed that you have your block set up in a series circuit. I looked at the installation diagram of your SLI bridge. It seems that there should be a fitting to block the water flow in the channel on the right. Is there?

sli.JPG

Last edited:
So you're running the GPUs in serial. That looks about right as the the GPUs are usually 5c-10c different from each other on average but your temps are way out there which makes me think from what I know now, a bad mount as ED said is very possible. Everything else looks fine but that temp on that GPU. I think you're going to need to remount that GPU is your best bet at this moment.

Back